netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Netsuke: miniature masterpieces - Thursday 3 July 2014 - 6.45pm

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:57 am

Whilst not a Euronetsuke event I thought this would be the best area to post this information. I posted in response to Alan's post regarding the INS member's discount on the new BM book found here http://netsuke.websitetoolbox.com/post/books-3608512?trail=255#245

Important: You need to be a member of the Japan Society to attend. This does not cost much and I highly recommend it with many great free events monthly. To join fill out the following form and fax to the number provided on the same document - http://www.japansociety.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/Individual-Membership-2014-4pp.pdf

If joining the Japan society feels like a bit of a bind all is not lost. I hear whispers from Rosemary that she will be looking to arrange a similar talk for Euronetsuke members shortly. Something to look forward to for all us Euronetsuke members :)

It must be noted that special thanks should be given to Rosemary, Max and Sem who sorted through 2,300 Netsuke at the BM to make this possible.

So onto the info regarding the event;

Noriko Tsuchiya, author of a new British Museum publication Netsuke: 100 miniature masterpieces from Japan, and art dealer Max Rutherston will be speaking at this special event. They will discuss the history of netsuke, the small toggles intricately carved from various materials including ivory, wood and metal, and how they evolved from relatively insignificant objects to artistic treasures prized by collectors around the world. Uncovering the story of specific pieces and their individual and contextual significance, this talk will provide an insight into the world of netsuke from creation to collection.

Max Rutherston requires no introduction however for those of you unfamiliar with Noriko - Noriko Tsuchiya is a Project Curator at the British Museum. Together with external experts, she examined all the netsuke in the British Museum's collection and identified the top 100 for inclusion in this new publication.

Location;

The Swedenborg Society
20-21 Bloomsbury Way
London WC1A 2TH

Nearest underground station: Holborn
Light refreshments will be provided
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:51 pm

Important Update: I have been contacted by the Japanese Society and informed you Don't need to be a member of the Japan Society to attend.

So ANYONE is welcome.

I'll be there - so please feel free to come and introduce yourself and say hi. You'll find me in a suit and tied back hair (I'll be attending after work hence the attire).
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

borat

Postby borat » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Wouldn't it be good if someone could record this talk & post the video on the forum !

Nio

Postby Nio » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:30 am

I'm with you Borat. It would be great for those of us who are unable to attend. Especially south of the equator
Nio " I never learn anything from listening to myself "

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:07 am

I'll enquire.

borat

Postby borat » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:06 am

SD, maybe just video the talk on your iPhone …. I think that's how Al Qaeda do their propaganda :D

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:38 pm

Please make sure to get consent to record on your recording.
It would be wonderful to have the audio. Explain when soliciting consent that INS is a non-profit and our purpose is both purely for the education of our members and not for commercial use of any kind.
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:57 pm

Lol - No need to worry Mr Solicitor :P I got the ball rolling as soon as Gopi made the request.

I have official confirmation in writing from Max, Norkiko and the British Museum. I'm just waiting on the OK from the Japanese Society.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:40 am

Great news - complying with a couple of conditions - the Japanese Society has provided written permission.

Now on to the final issue - I have a video tripod but no DIGITAL video camera. Can anyone lend me a DIGITAL cam for the event or do I need to go buy one?

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:11 pm

You can rent them, Martyn.

So glad you are planning to do this!Image
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

Return to “Europe”