netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Netsuke: miniature masterpieces - Thursday 3 July 2014 - 6.45pm

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:47 am

The day is finally upon us :D

I am going to record with my own digital camera. I will record in full HD. In full HD it only records for periods of 29 minutes a time. If the talk times don't allow me to stop and start between Max and Noriko I will be ready to set it recording again at the 29 minute point.

I have batteries charged, card reformatted and actually remembered to pick up the tripod from behind me when I got out of the tube (numerous umbrellas have been lost in the same manner).

The microphone is built into the camera so I will not vouch for the sound quality but let's will this to come together for the international community that can't make it.

I look forward to seeing those of you who are coming (and let me tell you it's an impressive list) and will see you 6.45pm sharp.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

GiantSquid

Postby GiantSquid » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:49 pm

Not having been able to make it (fully booked when I tried to book a place - although later emailed today a place had become available which I didn't see until the event was just about to start ImageImage) I will keep my fingers crossed as to your cameraman and soundman skills Martyn.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones." John Maynard Keynes, 1883 - 1946

INS member since November 2012

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:04 am

Well what a great talk - it was packed! Snacks and Sake were laid on to help refresh the weary overheated travelers (we were sweltering in 30 degree plus heat yesterday). The Hall itself was nice and cool which a welcome respite from the beating sun.

It was great to some of the old faces, and make the acquaintance of new. John Boyle made himself known to me quite quickly and sharply presented a very interesting Netsuke he had cheekily acquired from Lempertz! Nice one John and when you get a chance do share it on the site. Very humorous peice!

So to cut to the chase. I have the talk on video BUT there was a side effect of conforming to the totally reasonable condition of avoiding blocking the audiences view whilst filming.

This presented a number of problems, the main being the placement of the camera in relation to picking up the talk via it's microphone. I've yet to review the video in depth but please don't expect it to be anywhere faintly near the quality of the previous Max presentation most of you will have seen hosted on his website. Please be patient with me and I'll see what I can do in editing to make this acceptable for viewing.

Not to be beaten, Max and I have discussed an alternative that is quite exciting for our forum community. At some point in August we will film a private rendition in more depth for the collectors out there (last nights talk was aimed at those that knew nothing about Netsuke). To add to this I think a Q&A session at the end would be a great idea. Assuming you guys like the idea to I will open a new thread in which anyone can submit questions for the talk. If we get too many questions I will pull say, 10, out of the hat.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

B_art79

Postby B_art79 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:47 pm

Hi souldeep,

Since a few months I'm reading a lot on this forum. I'm a member since 2008 or so, but was never so active. I would like to say that I like to see you grow in this world so fast. You've been a collector for not so long right? So you must be rookie of the year!

Aplause for you filming yesterdays talk! Hopefully it turns out to be very informative. In the meanwhile I like to see max his filming. Could you give us a link, since I do not know where to look?

Thanx!

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:18 am

Hi Bart,

Lol - yes I have only been a collector for a year and a half. The framework around the the INS has allowed me to meet many new and wonderful people in the Netsuke world, none of which would of happened without this forum. I am a true product of this forum rather than any one mentor (the mentor concept is perhaps a more common way for beginners to grow into the art form).

That being said I have been lucky enough to see some friendships blossom that range from other beginners through to experts within the Netsuke world. I feel very humbled that the individuals I talk about have been kind enough to share and spend the time with me. On those that have met me, they will know of my intensity on this subject, and for putting up with this I am very grateful.

In the Netsuke world some don't approve of the forum for differing reasons. However the readership of the forum remains high. It is very valuable to hear from individuals like your self that read more than post. Everyone brings something of value in contribution on this forum and every time someone new or a long term reader shares, it contributes a richness and diversity to the content being built in this online repository of expertise.

On Max's link. Unfortunately it seems you now have to register to watch the video. It is well worth the effort though! You will find it here http://www.rutherston.com/articles/lectures/

Please do share elsewhere on the forum including a rather cute embarrassed dog you have carved recently (I have just visited your website). I like the expression in the piece very much! You must own, or have studied dogs, to achieve the emotion your piece presents so well.

B_art79

Postby B_art79 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:32 pm

Thank you for the compliment on my doggie. I saw a poster for guidedogs( for blind people) with a puppie sitting in the rain looking rather said... That was the inspiration for this netsuke. Aldo I am the proud owner of a very sweet rottweiler now.

I will place some pics on the forum when I'm back home tomorrow.

So I signed myself in to watch that tape but I need premission to watch it as well....
I was hoping you could give me an e-mail adres of max....?
Or is he a member of this forum as well?

Thanx.

Edit: seems that it does work afterall......

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:00 am

I contacted Max and let him know. He's looking into the problem.

tanukisan

Postby tanukisan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:35 pm

I found that if you use this link first - http://www.artconnoisseurs.eu/en/videos
and then click on Max Rutherston's video from the list then it will play without any problems!

John 

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:29 pm

runs smoothly but is just portion of the lecture!!
Nec spe nec metu

Manu

Postby Manu » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:57 am

Hi Martyn, is the video that you made of the Japanese Society event somewhere online by chance? Have you found time to edit the original version to be able to share it with us? :)

Return to “Europe”