netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

The Euronetsuke Ashmolean visit 19/09/13

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
Vlad

Postby Vlad » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:37 pm

Sorry Stan and David, I still don't get it, but this is again probably just a linguistic barrier, as Stan likes to point out.
I was freely posting copies of my own articles as well as other published materials here before and have never heard about inappropriateness of it. It's just getting better and better every day, I guess...
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:58 am

I guess I assumed Martyn didn't sell his article to the EuroNetsuke Chapter and it was his property to do whatever he wished with it.
Alan

Suzume

Postby Suzume » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:48 am

Personally I look forward to Martyn posting his article.

(Leaving aside copyright/permission questions, which I know nothing about...)

Remembering clearly my arrival in Netsuke World, I recall how daunting and fearsome it seems from the starting line. Martyn's tale of his journey helps point the way, gives valuable guidance, communicates the joy of netsuke, and lets other newcomers know they are not alone, that both other newcomers and long- timers will support them. It really resonated with me!

Also, I imagine not too many beginning or about-to-begin collectors have yet subscribed to the Journal or Euronetsuke, so posting on the web where it's easily found should help get the article to a broader audience.

And who can resist a new baby daughter!?
Suzume

bandini

Postby bandini » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:45 am

Thank you David and Stan - yes it is a matter of courtesy and I appreciate that. Actually Euronetsuke is also copyrighted, so it is also a requirement.

Martyn wrote a really fantastic and enjoyable article and I am immensely grateful to him. I have always felt personal stories have a big part to play in our collectors' magazines - something I tried to achieve in the early days through asking people to write 500 words about a favourite netsuke (now there's an idea for the Forum?).

Since Euronetsuke takes a lot of work to produce and we always hope to attract new members, I am asking my website designer to post the article on the Euronetsuke website (www.euronetsuke.eu). The site has been rather neglected over the last year as the convention and Nutshell exhibition took over my life and Martyn's article will revive it with exactly the kind of article we want to promote. If I can direct people to the website it will actually boost the Society's European arm - I think with a bigger beneficial effect.

I will try to get this up asap, and will post here when its up.

I Hope this will meet with the approval of the majority!

Rosemary
bandini

Suzume

Postby Suzume » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:34 am

I think that's perfect Rosemary! Having it posted to the website is even better than just to the forum... glad you will post the link when it gets up there.

I like the 500 words about a favorite netsuke idea, too. Maybe we can make it a thread.
Suzume

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:19 pm

Thanks, Rosemary, we will all look forward to seeing Martyn's article on the Euronetsuke site, when you send us the link.

Meanwhile, I would strongly recommend that those with an interest consider joining and subscribing to the Euronetsuke Journal. (www.euronetsuke.eu)
It is a small cost in the great scheme of things . . . .and I think you will be seeing some very interesting articles there as time goes on . . . Image
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

bandini

Postby bandini » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:16 pm

OK folks, I'm happy to say you can read Martyn's article on the Euronetsuke website:

www.euronetsuke.eu

http://www.euronetsuke.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=107:my-introduction-to-the-wonderful-world-of-netsuke&catid=1:latest-news

Rosemary
bandini

Suzume

Postby Suzume » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:47 pm

First of all, Martyn's article looks fabulous on the website!!

I have to second David's sentiments. If you don't already know, Euronetsuke is the European Chapter of the INS and it's got a fine website and magazine, is open to all, and represents a great value. I really enjoy it.

Here's the membership info (copied from the website, I hope no one will mind!;)):

If you would like to join the European chapter and receive future issues, please contact David Louis Brown at :
dl.brown68@ntlworld.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

The cost of membership is

United Kingdom : £20.00

Europe: €25.00

Rest of World: US$ 40.00

Suzume

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:21 am

Wow, that was quick work, Rosemary. Many thanks for the clarification and for arranging that.

Just to point out for the umpteenth time, in case anyone has not looked at the small print, the yearly fee for Euronetsuke is ridiculously cheap. If you are looking for a deal or a steal, this has to be it. I keep telling the treasurer to put up the price but he will not listen. Now is your chance to join and start getting their sweet little publications and other benefits!
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:25 am

In the past the Euronetsuke journal seemed to come out sporadically. Is there now a set schedule such as quarterly? I believe I only got two one year. Their Journal has really improved I think especially with the color photos now.
Alan

Return to “Europe”