netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

The Euronetsuke Ashmolean visit 19/09/13

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
chonchon

Postby chonchon » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:18 am

Just noticed this and the comments above which I missed as I was somewhere over Siberia back then. Apologies to Richard. Which one are you?

My copy of Euronetsuke just arrived in Japan today sent on from London. Nice long article by Martyn!!!
Piers

Size is something.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:42 am

Thank you Suzume :D I hadn't realised that the Euronetsuke journal finds it way out of Europe (except perhaps to INS board members).

I was rather touched by a call last week from a Euronetsuke member. A rather emotional and lovely discussion thanking me for the article. This I did not expect, which makes such responses all the more wonderful.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Clive

Postby Clive » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Martyn, would it be possible to post your Euronetsuke article on here? I'm sure it will be of great help to many of this forum's new collectors. 8-)

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:31 pm

Hi Clive - Good to hear from you :)

I'm not sure if everyone would agree the article is the best guide for a beginners to learn - as I have mentioned I don't necessarily follow the "buy the best I can afford" was a personal choice of mine to be slightly different for my own reason(s). I would not want to detract from the general recommended approach by the INS members.

I'm not quite sure how it would come out - but I guess we could scan and attach. I do wonder if we should wait for David, Alan and the team to get articles up online though? This I understand is coming to the forum in the not to distant future. It will be very exciting to be able to get hold of historical articles and journals!
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Clive

Postby Clive » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:25 pm

Yes please, scan and post it. 8-)

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:13 pm

Martyn, David and I are waiting on Aisha to give the green light to publishing articles in the members-only area of the Home page but if you are willing to produce yours here on the Forum I certainly don't have any objection to making public/free to the world. (Others have said they want theirs to remain in the protected area). It's exciting to see new people like yourself producing articles for our journals, whether they appear in that of INS, EuroNetsuke, or CIS. Many of us do get the EuroNetsuke Journal. Mine just came and I'll have a look tonight.
Alan

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:27 pm

Just so things are clear - I PM'd Martyn and said to ask Rosemary if it's OK for us to publish Martyn's Euronetsuke article right here on this Forum, with proper credit to Euronetsuke. Once we get Rosemary's OK, since she is Pres of Euronetsuke, we are good to have Martyn post it right here on this Forum.

I think that all new collectors, and those planning on becoming new collectors, will benefit from Martyn's well-written, entertaining and very personal, story of his first year among us in NetsukeWorld!Image
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:44 pm

David, are you suggesting we can not place copies of already published articles here without a permission from the editor or someone else (I can't even think of who that may be)? This must be something new in the copyright legislation and quite unique to the netsuke world I would assume...Image
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

warburg

Postby warburg » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:07 pm

Vlad wrote:David, are you suggesting we can not place copies of already published articles here without a permission from the editor or someone else (I can't even think of who that may be)? This must be something new in the copyright legislation and quite unique to the netsuke world I would assume...Image

David asked Martyn to obtain permission from Rosemary. This is more or less a courtesy and Email consent is sufficient.

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:11 pm

As Stan said, Vlad, this is a matter of courtesy.
Since we know Rosemary often goes on the Forum and is the Pres. of Euronetsuke, and Martyn is well acquainted with Rosemary, it seems appropriately polite to proceed this way.Image

"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

Return to “Europe”