netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

The Euronetsuke Ashmolean visit 19/09/13

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
warburg

Postby warburg » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Which one is Piers in those photos? I'm very curious.:D

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:45 pm

Lol - you can find Piers in what is almost a photo of just him (Nigel and his wife are also in the shot), talking and looking at my camera phone, fourth down, holding a small wooden Manju.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

kaibutsu

Postby kaibutsu » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:00 pm

I had you pegged chonchon-san
INS mascot

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:14 pm

Where's Wally? :D

Andy's guest was Malcolm, a collector of all things Japanese and a Kentish man.
Piers

Size is something.

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:35 pm

a "Kentish Man . . . " I like the sound of that . . .

Because I am but a Curious Man, I looked that one up, and, though miles off topic, here is what I learned:

"I frequently see the question posed as to what constitutes a "Man of Kent" or a "Kentish Man". It all centres around the River Medway which is shown above (we are looking North) where the very familiar but somewhat ugly bridge crosses the River from Rochester to Strood. It always used to be extremely common in Kent where, at one time, there used to be a "pub" on every corner, to give directions by using the names of these public houses. These days with fewer pubs, it means that we have to start trying to remembering the names of the actual streets to give directions! Anyway, I've gone back a few years to try and demonstrate the Kent or Kentish problem.

Anyone born West of the River Medway is a Kentish Man - hence the public house in Dunk's Green which is West of Maidstone and also West of the Medway is the Kentish Rifleman. Anyone born East of the River Medway is, by a relatively simple process of elimination, a Man of Kent which is why we have the public house in the centre of Ashford called the Man of Kent. Anyone living either side of the River Medway who was not actually born in Kent is an immigrant!"

http://www.kentresources.co.uk/manofkent.htm

There will be an open book exam . . . Image

Hope that answers the question.Anyone born West of the River Medway is a Kentish Man - hence the public house in Dunk's Green which is West of Maidstone and also West of the Medway is the Kentish Rifleman. Anyone born East of the River Medway is, by a relatively simple process of elimination, a Man of Kent which is why we have the public house in the centre of Ashford called the Man of Kent. Anyone living either side of the River Medway who was not actually born in Kent is an immigrant!

Hope that answers the question.
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

GiantSquid

Postby GiantSquid » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:35 pm

This really was a great event; and made all the more better to see again all the people I met for the first time back in May.  And then the following day I met up with Andy (when that was arranged we didn't know about the Ashmolean visit) and lightened my wallet somewhat - more on that in another thread.  Sorry Piers, we didn't get introduced, which I'm gutted about.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones." John Maynard Keynes, 1883 - 1946

INS member since November 2012

GiantSquid

Postby GiantSquid » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:07 am

My favourite netsuke from this collection was/ is the unsigned wood squirrel among vines (it's in the book, as I think they all are, if you want to look it up - can't remember which page though). Exquisite.

Richard
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones." John Maynard Keynes, 1883 - 1946

INS member since November 2012

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:57 am

I thought Piers would be easy to recognize in photos by appearing in full Samurai garb...
Piers, anything in the Bonhams NY10/8 sale looking of interest?
Alan

Suzume

Postby Suzume » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:38 am

The new Euronetsuke is out #42, Autumn 2013, and it includes a nice writeup of the Ashmolean Museum visit by David Louis Brown, including a number of photos of a wide variety of pieces. Really sorry I didn't have a chance to get there while at the convention.

There's also a summary of the convention, an article on Ushi (Oxen) by Eberhard Schmidt-Bothelt, and best of all, an autobiographical look by Souldeep aka Martyn Jones at "My introduction to the Wonderful World of Netsuke". A great look into the evolution from "newbie" to collector -- it should be required reading for all new collectors.
Suzume

Suzume

Postby Suzume » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:40 am

Ah, I see David just posted on the same topic on the Journal thread.  David, you are ALWAYS just a little ahead of me!!  Well, good news is always worth repeating.
Suzume

Return to “Europe”