netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

The Euronetsuke Ashmolean visit 19/09/13

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
bandini

Postby bandini » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:26 am

Just to clarify, there are just two copies a year, scheduled for April/May and October/November.

We used to have 4 copies in the very early days, but decided some time ago to produce two copies in colour instead.

Rosemary
bandini

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:22 pm

souldeep wrote:One of the rewarding parts of the afternoon for me was related to a rather personal investigation. I acquired a marine ivory manju of Raiden in the clouds back in May. I had been unable to find any comparable examples elsewhere until I purchased the the Ashmolean collection book. I was very excited to see an incredibly similar design, but in the most unexpected material - pottery!

Being able to visit and handle the collection allowed me to compare these pieces side by side and I thought I'd share some of these photos with you all. When I get a bit more time I'll also write up the findings.

And the hunt to find out more about the history and possible school/artist for this piece continues.

I understand this piece was owned by Fax Du Pont. Does anyone own his book on the collection? I may find some more info from his book if worth purchasing.

Neil had a set of INS journals on him the other day (entertainment whilst travelling around London). In one of the journals I was interested to find this piece sold at Bonham's London, November 10th 2003. What surprise me was this sale had fifty two lots - only four lots sold! This piece was one of them.

Bonham's attributed the school as Asakusa. This has really surprised me as I was not aware of any Asakusa pieces being worked from marine ivory - specifically the material of this piece - walrus tusk.

The search for this pieces history continues - article clip shared for your interest.

Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:31 pm

Martyn, I am not sure what exactly are you looking for, but here is the piece from the du Pont collection first offered for sale on Christies NY in 1996
Attachments
1770135_001.jpg
1770136_002.jpg
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:40 pm

Martyn, regarding their use or non-use of marine ivory, the ryusa Manju I showed you the other day signed Gyokuzan could well be Gyokuzan II, an Asakusa carver known to have worked in walrus ivory. (According to M's notes in the MCI).
Piers

Size is something.

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:23 pm

Martyn, here is another example in wood by Kokei.

SC
Attachments
1770467_Raijin_peaking_through_clouds_2.jpg
1770468_Raijin_peaking_through_clouds_3.jpg
1770469_Raijin_peaking_through_clouds.jpg

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:25 am

Hurtig...
Attachments
1770630_006.jpg
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:08 am

Vlad wrote:Martyn, I am not sure what exactly are you looking for, but here is the piece from the du Pont collection first offered for sale on Christies NY in 1996

Thanks Vlad - I'm looking for exactly this sort of information. I want to find out as much about the history of the piece as possible whatever the information. Do you know if it sold in the Christies auction?

Thank you to, for the Hurtig example. I have the Hurtig book and noted similarities in the model but although this example is also unsigned I felt it's from a different hand.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:26 am

SteamCollector wrote:Martyn, here is another example in wood by Kokei.

SC

Thanks Dave - a nice Tsu school example. It seems the manju style model of Raiden peering through the clouds was not unique to one school.

Return to “Europe”