netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

The Euronetsuke Ashmolean visit 19/09/13

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:27 pm

On Thursday the 19th September the Euronetsuke chapter met together in Oxford for a private viewing of a collection of Manju. Rosemary kindly organised a private visit to the Ashmolean museum chaired by the wonderfully enthusiastic and passionate curator of the collection - Joyce Seaman.

If you wish to take a visit yourself I highly recommend it - details can be found here http://www.ashmolean.org/

The format of the afternoon involved us sitting around a large table in a private room with trays of the Manju being passed around as seen in this photograph.

:shock:

I also took some photos of my favourite pieces but I will post them with information when I get the time. If any of you have some to share please post your pics!

Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:42 pm

One of the rewarding parts of the afternoon for me was related to a rather personal investigation. I acquired a marine ivory manju of Raiden in the clouds back in May. I had been unable to find any comparable examples elsewhere until I purchased the the Ashmolean collection book. I was very excited to see an incredibly similar design, but in the most unexpected material - pottery!

Being able to visit and handle the collection allowed me to compare these pieces side by side and I thought I'd share some of these photos with you all. When I get a bit more time I'll also write up the findings.

Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:02 pm

SD, thank you for your report and photographic coverage of this event!
I believe Piers also posted on it in his 'Chon's Bits & Pieces' thread.

I envy your experience. . . .
All but the blue plastic gloves . . .
Which suggest a medical autopsy.

When our INS SoCA Chapter toured the Kinsey Collec at LMU, we also had to wear surgical gloves.

It's a museum thing.

I'm very much enjoying the book and I highly recommend it.
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:36 pm

Hey All - my sincerest apologies for overloading this thread with large photos!!!

Alan got in contact and pointed out I was bringing the forum to a grinding halt.

I have updated ALL these images to be under 200k now - under half the size of the thumbnail limits.

The image quality suffers but for those of you on slower connections it will load normally now 8-)

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:08 pm

The image quality appears to be excellent.

The Raiden looking down through the clouds theme is an especially appealing one to me.
Whoever thought that presentation up had an incredibly fertile imagination to do it within accepted netsuke rules . . . .

~ I have not seen a comparison like the one you present - well done!
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:14 pm

Thank you David. It was an exciting discovery. I will write up about the comparisons as soon as I get a spare hour to formulate some text!

Haven't forgotten about our Skype session either... Will shout a bit later once I have Saturdays tasks out the way.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:07 pm

Thanks, Martyn for the report and the resizing of photos. I'm sure they loaded quickly for the majority but for those with older computers or slow connections it can take a while (especially if your computer decides to do automatic updates at the same time).
Alan

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:31 pm

An update on the attendees list...

Ted Beaumont, Peter Ayre, Richard Gustar, Matt Holder, Petra Dorman, Andy Jordan (and a gentleman Andy brought along whose name still evades us), Rosemary Bandini, Martyn Jones, Nigel Platt (along with his wife whose name also evades us), David Louis Brown and last but no mean least our very own Piers Dowding.

bakuoo7

Postby bakuoo7 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:55 pm

And me!!! LOL :)
David Louis Brown

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:26 pm

Thanks David - name added and thanks for jogging my memory 8-)

Great to see you posting on the forum - you have a lot of knowledge to share so would love to have your expertise more often when you can spare the time.

Return to “Europe”