netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

London Netsuke Symposium

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:49 pm

DSW, we just received the Fall Journal yesterday with the registration information enclosed. I would encourage all to go ahead and register (to help defray advance deposits for the convention).
More than anything I think the workshops need to be repeated once or twice. At the NY convention Michael Strone laid out a schedule that allowed us to attend most and it appears the same will happen in LA. I know presenters get exhausted but this can be one of the best parts of the convention. I would also recommend putting together a short list of nearby restaurants of varying quality/price and make it know in advance perhaps by putting it on the Forum. An alternate hotel nearby for those who want to save a bit of money for netsuke would be good as well although not being in the hotel where the meeting is held (had to walk in drizzle some days to the London Symposium) is a disadvantage, especially at such a favorable price. It's also good to know you can run up to your room off and on for a break, to deposit new treasures in your safe, just relax for a few minutes away from the crowd without leaving the property.
BTW, how many days will the Beverly Wilshire allow us to come early/stay late at that great rate?
It was suggested (Old Kappa) that at least a part of the presentations be taped for simultaneous broadcast. My preference would be to record what we can, do some minor editing and sell the DVD after the convention. This would require discussion by leadership and approval of the presenters of course. I think the workshops are not as amenable to recording as the five more formal lectures that are planned.
David, give me a call sometime if you would like to pick what little of my brain is left after London.
Alan

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:09 pm

AF, thanks for all the thoughts.
I am having a beat-the-clock week - as soon as it is over, I will call you to discuss your good points & questions.
I am preparing a list of lower- cost hotels and restaurants at varying prices and will shortly post it on the INS C 2011 thread.
The price that we negotiated with the Beverly Wilshire Hotel for INS convention goers is very low for that hotel and you will enjoy it if you do stay there.

- Go to the INS C 2011 thread for my further postings on news for our INS Convention May 20-25, 2011, so I do not further co-opt this thread about the London Symposium, which is now just a great memory for all the attendees.
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

jimfowlie

Postby jimfowlie » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:27 pm

I'll start off with my purchase. I was unable to be successful with any of my bids at Bonham's. I was going to go back at the end of the Wrangham's sale and try to purchase Lot 127 which did not sell during the sale but, with the unfortunate events of the morning, I totally forgot and noticed later that someone else had the same idea as me and it was gone.
I had more luck at the Christie's sale and I now own Lot 356, the Masazane Rat on a Vegetable. Not to everyone's taste but I like it and I'm happy with it. The detail on the underside is really impressive.
Did anyone else manage to get what they wanted?
Jim
Jim (INS member)

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:01 pm

Jim, I went back and had a good look at your Masazane Rat and Vegetable netsuke and I like it very much. I am not familiar with this carver, but it is very realistically rendered and quite pleasing; a joy to hold, I am sure. The rat's face is intelligent and alive. Congratulations and Enjoy!
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "

jimfowlie

Postby jimfowlie » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:18 pm

Thanks for your kind remarks. It is nice to hold and I am very happy with it. If it was not for 2 last minute bidders, 1 from China the other Japan, I would have got it for a bargain price. As it is thats auctions for you and in a way it was good to think that others in the world appreciated it as much as me.
Jim (INS member)

jimfowlie

Postby jimfowlie » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:42 pm

A lot of shy people must have been at the auctions or am I to believe that nobody was able to buy.:)
Jim (INS member)

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:20 pm

I'm with Jim - surely somebody out of the worldwide population of Forum Faithful (including readers-only and 'lurkers') has a treasure they bought, either at the London auctions or from Dealers at the London Symposium, to share with us here!
???

peter

Postby peter » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:53 am

As I remember lot of members made photographs
By this time , on this tread only few could see. I will check my arch iv and will be send few.pics
one of my new "London" GAKI netsuke.

Attachments
1086123_DSC01976.JPG
1086126_DSC01978.JPG
1086125_DSC01977.JPG
1086124_DSC01977.JPG

peter

Postby peter » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:09 pm

and one more

peter

Postby peter » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:11 pm

here is