netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

London Netsuke Symposium

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:32 pm

How very sad indeed. I am so sorry to hear that, and send my condolences to all his family, friends, and colleagues.
Judy

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:35 pm

My Bonhams Wrangham catalog Vol. 1 arrived recently.
It is an excellent book and well worth shelf space in your library.
Buy direct from Bonhams catalog department.

I have interviewed a number of truly exhausted people who have returned from the London event and they each told me they had a great time. The success of the London Symposium, for collectors and dealers, bodes extremely well for a highly successful INS C 2011, our own INS Convention next May (20-25), 2011, here at the Beverly Wilshire in Beverly Hills, California!
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:02 pm

We stayed 9 days in London expecting to do some touring along with the Symposium. The netsuke events kept us from doing much outside of half days each at the British and V&A. Gives me an excuse to return soon. It was an exhausting time. Unfortunately I was overbid on every piece I really wanted (in one case 10 times the high estimate for the 17th century inro with lobster and the mon of the Danjuro family (a nice musu royo) which was finally knocked down at 7500 pounds. The unfortunate cardiac event of Helmuth occurred just before the lacquer tengu mask I wanted. There was a break until 2:30 when the sale resumed and during a very quick lunch with the pulmonologist who also participated in the resuscitative efforts he let it be know he was also interested in it and the inro. I dropped quickly from competing with him, saving myself for the inro but to no avail. It think he also was overbid at a final hammer of 3500 pounds. I should also mention that in addition to three physicians who attended Helmut our well-known Forum participant Jim Fowlie jumped right in with his knowlege of CPR (he's an offshore electrician so presumably is regularly trained in this). It was a sad day punctuated by a record breaking price paid for a Zeshin inro/netsuke which soared to 135,000 pounds. Max and Rosemary hope to continue with the London event in the off years between our U.S. INS conventions. I now have my sights on Bevery Hills.
Alan

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:14 pm

A photo of the Crypt where the opening banquet was held. If you read the Symposium information included with the registration form on Euronetsuke you will know this is where Henry VIII was given a three day feast celebrating his first marriage to Katherine of Aragon (one of two lucky women who were divorced from him...rather than beheaded). Sorry for the dim picture but imagine what it would have been like by candle light in 1509.
Attachments
1052837_IMGP2644.JPG
Alan

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:00 pm

[img:rh4dqo7t]http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/polcrt/images/HenryVIII.jpg[/img:rh4dqo7t]....
NOT THE HIGH BIDDER ON THE RECORD SETTING INRO~!
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:20 am

A massive guy like that needs a sumo sized netsuke/sagemono.
I'm En-er-ee the eigth I am....
Alan

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:13 am

He was a lot better looking in the movie!!! [img:14stzi4u]http://forums.netsuke.org/images/boards/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img:14stzi4u]
Judy

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:41 pm

Alright, everybody is back now, rested and my questions are two:

1- Tell us about what you purchased in London.
- What did you add to your collection from the London event?

2- Please share ideas and feedback based on your recent London experience as to what we can focus on to make sure that INS C 2011 next May 20-25, 2011, our next INS Convention (recently dubbed by Paul Moss as the "The White Russian Convention") is the best ever
- Kindly share with us the good, the bad & the ugly, so that we can learn from your experience in planning for next May. I have heard about the endless stairs separating the rest rooms from the seminar rooms - be assured, the Beverly Wilshire is subject to US and California law requiring access for all, both the able bodied and those with disabilities, i.e., all elevators will be available.
- What else should we do, not do . . . .?

OldKappa

Postby OldKappa » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:33 pm

The only bad thing about the London symposium is that it was too short!

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:43 pm

INS C 2011 runs from 5-20 through 5-25/11 and, therefore, will be longer![img:2oczzvb4]http://forums.netsuke.org/images/boards/smilies/cool.gif[/img:2oczzvb4]

Return to “Europe”