netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

London Netsuke Symposium

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
Shugenja

Postby Shugenja » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:20 pm

Old Kappa, that is truly a lovely tiger... congratulations on acquiring it ! Do you not think that Godo and Hakuryu I may be the same carver ? I think that would be a reasonable bet.

Vlad, [i:1r9266ex]sosho[/i:1r9266ex] is "grass writing". It is more cursive than [i:1r9266ex]gyosho[/i:1r9266ex], which is more cursive than the standard form, [i:1r9266ex]kaisho[/i:1r9266ex]. I believe you have the blue signatures book by Self and Hirose, which explains the differences on page 22.

Here's an image of the underside of the Hakuryu tiger group in Moss' [i:1r9266ex]Serious Art[/i:1r9266ex]. This signature and the Godo signature on Bosshard's tiger are both to be found within a wavy-edge cartouche. Interesting, all around...
Attachments
1050960_tiger004.jpg

kaibutsu

Postby kaibutsu » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:01 pm

correction to Judy's post: She's looking good - in heat & happy about it! Great combo: great netsuke! congrats OK!
INS mascot

Shugenja

Postby Shugenja » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Now that I've done a bit more research, it seems there may exist a shishi signed "[i:1iw3q24t]Hakuryu Godo[/i:1iw3q24t]". It's supposed to be illustrated in Sagemonoya's catalogue of 2002, [i:1iw3q24t]Netsuke, Ojime & Masatoshi's Kabuki[/i:1iw3q24t]. But, unfortunately, I don't have that publication to check... though Old Kappa, no doubt does.

OldKappa

Postby OldKappa » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:02 pm

Here is Sagemonoya's piece. I'll contact Robert and see if by chance they have a photo of the signature.

And I was so happy with my Godo attribution...now I'll have to keep researching. There is certainly a connection, one of the main differences are the eyes: Hakuryu's in mother of pearl and Godo's in horn and ebony.

Attachments
1050969_Hakuryu_Godo.JPG

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:28 am

"Shugenja":1womxfcz wrote:Old Kappa, that is truly a lovely tiger... congratulations on acquiring it ! Do you not think that Godo and Hakuryu I may be the same carver ? I think that would be a reasonable bet.

Vlad, [i:1womxfcz]sosho[/i:1womxfcz] is "grass writing". It is more cursive than [i:1womxfcz]gyosho[/i:1womxfcz], which is more cursive than the standard form, [i:1womxfcz]kaisho[/i:1womxfcz]. I believe you have the blue signatures book by Self and Hirose, which explains the differences on page 22.

Here's an image of the underside of the Hakuryu tiger group in Moss' [i:1womxfcz]Serious Art[/i:1womxfcz]. This signature and the Godo signature on Bosshard's tiger are both to be found within a wavy-edge cartouche. Interesting, all around...

[/quote:1womxfcz]
Yes, Shugebja, I do have the book, but it is still difficult for me to check for a signature similarity without actually seeing the signature.

Never mind. You have already addressed the point I was trying to make by asking that question. It may be simply the very same carver all along...
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

Shugenja

Postby Shugenja » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:32 am

Old Kappa, re the eye inlays... although this was not a tiger, the Bluette Kirchhoff sale at Bonhams contained a kurogaki ox by Hakuryu, item 2006. A partial description: the eyes inlaid with pale and dark horn, signed [i:1gsmgcf2]Higashiyama Giondori Unsho Hakuryu[/i:1gsmgcf2]

OldKappa

Postby OldKappa » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:21 am

Here is Bosshard's Godo signature.
Attachments
1051145_Bosshard's_Godo_signature.JPG

valonline13

Postby valonline13 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:44 am

I am still in London. Wanted to add some quick remarks. I really enjoyed my first netsuke event. All the atmosphere, the lectures. The people were so friendly and helpful to answer my questions. Many of them invited to see their collections - the chance I will not miss.
It was very successful for the dealers as well.

It was a special event on the 08th of November in Christies -viewing of the small but very interesting netsuke collection of Van Daalen. Just mention some of the jewels: Tomotada horse, Mitsuhro Boar, Tametaka Tigers...
A small catalog was available to buy.

Bonhams printed out a very good catalog of the first part of the Wrangham Sale.

Now the bad news.
The Sale on the 09th was stopped by the sudden heart attack of one German dealer. He had immediate first help in the room from the doctors among the collectors and dealers, but sadly died later on in the hospital. We are all shocked!

Val

OldKappa

Postby OldKappa » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:50 am

[b:1jasyhyv]I have just contacted Val and I'm in shock. I regret to announce that it was Helmut Laudenbach. I spoke for a few minutes with him just last Sunday.[/b:1jasyhyv]

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 pm

May he rest in peace.
How very sad.
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

Return to “Europe”