netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Spring 2018 Journals arrived

A topic area to discuss whatever comes to mind from personal stories to images of your most recent holiday.
AFNetsuke

Spring 2018 Journals arrived

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:37 am

A bonus day here in south central California. Both Spring vol 38 no 1 of INSJ and no 51 of Euronetsuke arrived in my mailbox today. And yes, I gave up on getting anymore chores done and thought I would just browse the pages a bit. So much for browsing as I read all of Euronetsuke and was most pleased to see forum members ABland and Chonchon had submissions. And the INSJ has what looks to be a great article by our Bakurae on mermaids! Congratulations Adam, Piers and Alison.
Alan

chonchon

Re: Spring 2018 Journals arrived

Postby chonchon » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:00 am

Great Alan, thanks for the heads-up! :D
Piers

Size is something.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:13 am

Haven't yet received my Euronetsuke journal :(

I have received my INS journal :)

Alison congratulations on an interesting, comprehensive and well laid out article! Very informative. I sincerely hope you will be inspired to give us more of those :x
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:49 pm

Sorry guys - probably worth noting. The Modteam moved a discussion on this thread into the members area. If you are an INS member, you can continue reading the discussion here - viewtopic.php?f=494799&t=8080256
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:12 am

Yesterday I received my Euronetsuke journal :) (discovered it was nothing more than a wrong postcode).

It was wonderful to read a profile on Adam Bland, a contemporary carver we are lucky enough to correspond with here on the forums. The article opens with a rather dashing photo of Adam in what I suspect, was his wedding attire. It is inspiring to see growing support for contemporary carving from institutions like Euronetsuke and Lempertz. Adam's point at the end of his article really highlights how as collectors, we are all missing something meaningful and enriching, if we fail to take the opportunity to cast one's eyes at the wonderful wealth of contemporary work that is now being produced around the world. There are a younger generation of collectors with a growing appetite for contemporary - and again we can thank Euronetsuke, Lempertz (and a private sponsor) for another opportunity this coming May to visit and handle a selection of contemporary works.

Education, education education! Rosey's article on "horses unwrapped" enriched my understanding in an area of Japanese art the for me had gone previously unnoticed, let alone, something I had any explanation for.

Piers - thank you! I had no idea you were writing an article for Euronetsuke. Your style of writing was a real pleasure to read. The subject was fascinating, and your open conclusion left me desiring to hear more from you on the subject. I can't help feeling that with you on the ground in Japan, your network of connections, and your passion for uncovering the past combine to place you as another valuable researcher for the netsuke world. Perhaps as a community we could find a way to fund you working on wider projects, time willing of course?

The journal closed with an informative article on Natsuo and Yasuchika. I'd not before seen the photo of a netsuke being contemplated, made all the rarer by the metal work Natsuo being the one doing the observing! Although I scanned over this one, I'm saving the article for tonight, once my Sunday chores are over, my daughter is tucked up, and I can compliment the reading with a glass of red :D

Thank you guys for taking time to provide such a wonderful set of articles this publication :x

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:35 pm

Must have been looking at the wrong thread! Only just noticed that this one had grown.
Martyn, thank you for the kind words. My daughter says she has sent Euronetsuke off to me here, so I look forward with pleasure to seeing these articles that you mention.
Last edited by chonchon on Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:09 pm

I hope we see more articles from you Piers - was a real pleasure to read.

I did find the time for a glass of wine and Rosey's article on the Sunday evening. It was engaging and educational. I now want to know more about the Nara school!

What amazes me is that Rosey finds the time to encourage and source articles for the publication, writes articles, manages the editing, layout and printing (management of it being outsourced) all by herself for Euronetsuke. I didn't create a clap emoticon - so this is the nearest I can use :x Thanks Rosey :)

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:18 pm

Well, I didn’t know that but I sensed that she is very busy! :clap: :!: fantastic job :idea:
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:14 am

I also thoroughly enjoyed the Euronetsuke journal this issue. Cheers to Piers! :!:
Alan

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:42 am

While we are at it, may I say thanks to Alan who holds up one pillar of the world and appears here with comments each morning like the sun. 8-)
Piers

Size is something.

Return to “Coffee Lounge”