netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Banko - Tapestry Ware

A topic area to discuss whatever comes to mind from personal stories to images of your most recent holiday.
jbjtennyo

Banko - Tapestry Ware

Postby jbjtennyo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:51 pm

During the past couple of years, I have been enjoying an occasional purchase of porcelain and other antique vessels. Many years ago, I found a piece of tapestry ware in the form of a six sided bud vase. At the time I didn't know what it was but was attracted to the designs and the pattern in the piece that was not painted on, but went all the way through. I later found that it was created by layering different colors of clay into shapes, and then cut into slices to form the vase- I believe a type of Banko ware called tapestry ware. I have always loved it. Just this past October, I was surfing on the web and ran across this tiny teapot of tapestry ware. It was actually available for purchase, and so I bought it. It is a darling little thing - about 4 inches in all directions. It has a stamped seal just below the back handle loop. Missing the original wicker or bamboo handle, her it is as pictured in "A Guide to Oriental Antiques". I really love it, so much smaller than I had imagined!
I am attaching one fun image of it. In an attempt to block my reflection out of the image, I used the "retouch" feature on my laptop iPhoto program. For what ever reason, it picked up on the pattern of the tapestry ware, and made this crazy background design!
Just for fun!
Attachments
IMG_4966.jpg
IMG_4965.jpg
IMG_4958-1.jpg
IMG_4964.jpg
Judy

Bakurae

Re: Banko - Tapestry Ware

Postby Bakurae » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:00 pm

A lovely thing, Judy. Reminds me a little of Venetian millefiori glass, made with a somewhat similar technique.

Alison

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Agreed. I have not come across this design before. And you have made a good choice of handle.
Piers

Size is something.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:05 pm

Piers, the handle is on the one that is pictured in the antique book I have-- it is not mine sorry to say. Mine has no handle- must have deteriorated and was removed. I have to find someone who can attach a handle to mine, but am almost afraid to, as it is so thin and fragile! But Oh! The handle makes it so complete!
Info that was included with teapot:
ANTIQUE JAPANESE BANKO TAPESTRY MARBLED DESIGN LIDDED TEAPOT C.1910
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:14 am

Judy these bamboo handles are surely available on the net. You slip it on and bring down the little bamboo sleeve to lock it in place.
Piers

Size is something.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:16 am

Thank you Piers! I will have a look!
Judy

Return to “Coffee Lounge”