netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Imari porcelain

A topic area to discuss whatever comes to mind from personal stories to images of your most recent holiday.
jbjtennyo

Imari porcelain

Postby jbjtennyo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:26 pm

I have been wanting to post these for awhile now, and hope that one of you might know more about these than I do. In my search for netsuke (which is the only thing I REALLY collect, I came across these Imari dishes and just loved them. I have since looked for more that are shaped in an unusual way, but generally just find fish shapes. I am sure that this couple seen in the Imari set of two dishes is a Japanese story. I think the arrows on the man would give a hint as to who they represent. Does anyone know any more about either the story or this style of Amari--what the date of it might be. I can't remember if I took images of the bottom, but will check. I am away from them at the moment, so can only count on my image library.
I am happy to share these with you and a cup of coffee too!
Attachments
IMG_3467.jpg
IMG_3468.jpg
Last edited by jbjtennyo on Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judy

chonchon

Re: Imari porcelain

Postby chonchon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:37 pm

They are lovely, Judy, and I can see why they attracted you. Have you considered Hikaru Genji and Lady Murasaki, (just to get the ball rolling)?
https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=genji ... 14&bih=628
Last edited by chonchon on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

jbjtennyo

Re: Imari porcelain

Postby jbjtennyo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:19 pm

Thank you Piers! I am not familiar with the story. I just googled it, and it is a huge novel! I only began to read, but did look at many images, and they certainly seem to relate. I think I have some reading I need to do. I also think you probably hit the nail on the head so to speak. I wish I had images of the bottom of them, but will have to wait until I get home again the end of the month. Can you tell me briefly what you remember of the tail that made you think of them? Thanks so much again.!

Note: I have replaced the images with a couple better ones that I found while looking for images of the bottom
Last edited by jbjtennyo on Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judy

Return to “Coffee Lounge”