netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

In memory of David Bowden.

A topic area to discuss whatever comes to mind from personal stories to images of your most recent holiday.
souldeep

In memory of David Bowden.

Postby souldeep » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:42 pm

I'm very very sad to have to post that the warm hearted David Bowden, an antique dealer who I believe many of you will have had the pleasure of visiting in Grays, passed away yesterday.

I got to know David well over the years, he always had time for a glass wine, of a natter on my lunch breaks, and we'd meet occasionally on Sundays, at our local open air food market in Wimbledon.

He had a lovely home in Wandsworth, which from his stories, was never the same after his wife passed away. Only his dogs keeping company, a massive passion in David's life. I am perhaps most sad that he never achieved his move to Cornwall, a dream he was actively trying to make a reality, between his recent hospital inconveniences.

David you really will be missed, not only by many of us in the netsuke community, but by all those that used to just sit and enjoy shooting the breeze.

I'm not doing David justice with this message, and I apologise to all that knew him. It's simply a very sad shock right now but I wanted to let you know in case you need to contact extended family.

David thank you for your time, patience and acceptance. You will be missed deeply.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

GiantSquid

Re: In memory of David Bowden.

Postby GiantSquid » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:43 am

Very sad news this. Martyn phoned me to tell me yesterday evening. I only last saw David last month. As Martyn has said, David was a gentleman always with time to sit and talk whilst you perused his stock of netsuke. I remember on one occasion I was supposed to be meeting Martyn at lunchtime - we were going to the Edmund de Waal exhibition of netsuke at the Barbican - and I had some time beforehand so went to see David and ended up there for most of the morning - such an easy guy to chat with. I've shared many afternoons chewing the fat with David. Bought a few netsuke from him - they're be treasured even more. I'll try and share one - a dog and one of my favourite netsuke in my collection and very apt given our shared love of the four legged kind.

David you will be missed. Over the past few years I had got to know you had become a friend. RIP.

Richard
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones." John Maynard Keynes, 1883 - 1946

INS member since November 2012

lohrberg

Postby lohrberg » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:33 am

Can anyone post a picture of David Bowden, please,

Reinhard

nicholas1957

Postby nicholas1957 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:53 pm

So sorry to hear of David's passing , always went to see him when at the London auctions, always very chatty & genial, he will be greatly missed
njw

neilholton

Postby neilholton » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:01 pm

David was a lovely old boy...I got on great with him. He was my "go to" for an hour before Sothebys or Bonhams sales where we would put the world to rights! Last time I saw him was at Bonhams in May, we sat at the back together giggling at everyone in the sale like naughty boys in class at school.

He always called everyone "me dear" and I can hear him now.

I will miss you Fagan.

Return to “Coffee Lounge”