netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Tips for visiting Japan

A topic area to discuss whatever comes to mind from personal stories to images of your most recent holiday.
souldeep

Re: Tips for visiting Japan

Postby souldeep » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:25 pm

NetsukeManiac wrote:Just be sure to stay away from the beaches at night.

Intreagued now. Why is that?
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:35 pm

You might end up taking an unwanted trip to North Korea.

Dave

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:28 am

Almost anywhere in Japan has hidden gems where you find yourself stepping into a timeless space. The littlest things trigger off the most unsual thoughts and appreciations. And just as quickly they can be flipped away by some inconguous modern interruption. Can you take all that in your stride?

It helps if you have already read something first, though, as Oli I think said above. I lived in Kyoto for three years and loved it, but when I read the Heike Story by Yoshikawa Eiji, the whole place became alive the very next time I visited, redolent at every street corner with over 1,000 years of history. Tracing that internal map, you can ignore the tourists at leisure. They become invisible ghosts. Choose your time of day and place and discover why Kyoto is magical. But Kyoto is very different in atmosphere and ethos, and only one distinct square of the quilt that makes up Japan.

Do we want quiet internal memories, or bragging rights as to "been there, done that"?

Again to repeat someone above, there is a first visit, but you cannot do everything, or even half or even one hundredth of everything. The four main islands are so different in character. The first visit maybe should pack in a mixture of this and that, some nightlife, a visit to Nagasaki or Hiroshima, a temple, a castle, a mountain, an island, a museum or two, etc. And of course somewhere illustrating the focus of your main interest/hobby etc.
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:41 am

Am I the last person to notice that the Kyoto Seishu Netsuke Art Museum is now open almost all year round? (Used to be only certain blocks of months)
https://www.netsukekan.jp/en/
Piers

Size is something.

lohrberg

Postby lohrberg » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:55 pm

What netsuke lovers should know,
this museum displays contemporary netsuke art. May be 1 to 3 % are non contemporary.

However, the museum building is worth a visit for everyone, up and down the wooden stairs (mind your head), all floors of tatami of course, with a movie showing carving techniques and views into the small green garden.

Not so easy to find. But looking for a certain address in Japan and then trying to find it, that is another story. Mostly I fail, when I look for a certain place.
An advice for newcomers: Let's say, when you have an appointment at a certain time on a certain day. I usually do a pre checking of the location a day ahead. Otherwise I would never be on time for the real appointment, that's Japan,

Reinhard

ABland

Postby ABland » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:16 pm

chonchon wrote:Am I the last person to notice that the Kyoto Seishu Netsuke Art Museum is now open almost all year round? (Used to be only certain blocks of months)
https://www.netsukekan.jp/en/

They started opening all year round due to the interest they were receiving i think. I have been twice now. There are some very good contemporary and antqiue netsuke on display and as reinhard says the building is beautiful as well. The antique display is relatively small, maybe 30 to 40 last time i visited and alway upstairs.
Although you are not supposed to take pictures i cant help taking a sneaky few. Here are three antique and three contemporary which were on display when i went.
20170930_140402.jpg
20170930_141256.jpg
20170930_140722.jpg
20170930_140502.jpg
20170930_140833.jpg
20170930_133726.jpg

All items on display were different from when i last visited 2 years ago.

Adam

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:25 am

This afternoon I managed to find the place and saw what you have just posted! LOL
Two kind smiling ladies at the entrance welcomed me there.
Piers

Size is something.

ABland

Postby ABland » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:05 pm

chonchon wrote:This afternoon I managed to find the place and saw what you have just posted! LOL
Two kind smiling ladies at the entrance welcomed me there.

Did you enjoy it? Its a very peacful place i find. I brought back a few of their catolouges last time i visited. I need to go again and buy the remaining ones
Last edited by ABland on Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:51 am

Adam,

I see that you are a carver yourself. This would have added to the interest for you. It was a little disappointing for me as I was expecting to see more antique Netsuke of quality, despite Reinhard's kind warning above.

It was indeed difficult to find the place. We walked round and round, and despite telling the locals in fluent (non-Kyoto Ben) Japanese that it was either next to or part of the famous Mibu-dera Temple complex (even Japanese citizens cannot in general read 壬生寺) we got mostly blank looks. Once there, however, it was a lovely old house set in a typically Japanese garden. They had the heaters on full-blast inside, which cannot be good for either human or Netsuke health, and you take your life in your hands with those passages and stairs and low beams. There was a large magnifying glass lying there upstairs inviting the visitor to pick it up, but the glass cases did not permit the loupe to come into focus at all. The large collections on the first and second floors were mostly by contemporary carvers, and the photographs with Princess Takamado on the walls backed up the feeling that this was a Netsuke carving association's head quarters.

A small attic space serving as the third floor contained their older Netsuke in impressive vitrine showcases, but I found myself wondering whether that was it, or whether there might not be other Netsuke possibly not on display, ie in those locked drawers. (About the same quantity as on display in the British Museum's Japan rooms, but of lesser quality, IMHO.)

So, glad to have finally visited, but at ¥1,000 yen each I would hesitate to go again, unless they had some special exhibition.

PS You mention buying their pamphlets, those publications along the wall in the for-sale rack? Wishing now that I had checked them out...
Last edited by chonchon on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

Return to “Coffee Lounge”