netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Some light reading for the coffee break

A topic area to discuss whatever comes to mind from personal stories to images of your most recent holiday.
chonchon

Re: Some light reading for the coffee break

Postby chonchon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:31 pm

Oh, they were Paris MIKI, and now I am wanting to order my next set of glasses from them!!! Nuts...
Piers

Size is something.

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:09 pm

Very nice, Piers! This level of customer service dramatically disappears in the West... :(

Thanks for sharing!
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:05 pm

Piers... I'm so glad for the new...we are getting older but "goldies" - Nat King Cole song... -
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:49 am

Recently some of us were handling a Benkei with a conch, and I mentioned that although the generic word 'conch' does indeed cover all kinds of signal shells, the Japanese 'Horagai' is more properly a Charonia Tritonis, or Triton shell of the Ranellidae family. In India they blow a conch, which is quite a different kind and shape of sea shell.

This will probably get no response from people even if you tell them, (expect blank looks!) but it is something to know anyway! :D

I tried to show Martyn a supporting video clip of me blowing a Japanese Horagai (Triton), but the signal was weak and the clip refused to upload. These shells were used by wandering priest warriors in the mountains, the Yamabushi. At the great defining battle of Sekigahara in 1600, the surrounding hills resounded with blasts from the Horagai, moving troops around the battlefield below. One of the abilities we are expected to have in our matchlock troop is to blow our Tritons before live firing displays.

So, speaking from experience, for your enjoyment here is a little 2-minute musical clip playing with a 木魚 Mokugyo, a 鈴 Rin, a 錫(杖) Shaku(-jo) and finally a small 法螺貝 Horagai. In your heart remember it should be "Benkei with a Triton"!

phpBB [media]
Last edited by chonchon on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Piers

Size is something.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:00 pm

Excellent video Piers. Very informative. We want more!!! An evening in Japan, hosted by Piers :D

PS Sorry but I couldn't work out how to stretch the width. I think next clip would benefit from being framed with the phone on it's side rather than vertical.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:34 pm

Many thanks for your help, Martyn, and point taken re the width. I will play around with that. :)
Piers

Size is something.

Operafan

Postby Operafan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:24 pm

Great clip, Piers. Thank you ! :)
Alex

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:52 pm

I'm especially impressed with Piers' mastery of the 木魚

Nook....
Nook...
Nook..
Nook.. Nok.. Nok. Nok NokNoknknknkn... Nok
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:17 pm

Sitting cross-legged in Eiheiji in the depth of winter, how could I ever forget that noise?!?!
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:02 pm

Superb demonstration of some simple instruments we've all seen in netsuke, Piers. Except I can't recall seeing a netsuke with a rin (maybe because I did not recognize what it was?). Anyone have a netsuke example?
Alan

Return to “Coffee Lounge”