netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Some light reading for the coffee break

A topic area to discuss whatever comes to mind from personal stories to images of your most recent holiday.
chonchon

Some light reading for the coffee break

Postby chonchon » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:05 pm

Letter From Oregon Dept. of Fish & Wildlife:

Dear Landowner:

ODFW Staff will be conducting surveys for foothill yellow-legged frogs & other amphibians over the next few months. As part of this research,we would like to survey the creek on your property. I am writing this letter to request your permission to access your property.
Recent research indicates that foothill yellow-legged frogs have declined significantly in recent years and are no longer found at half their historic sites. Your cooperation will be greatly appreciated and will help contribute to the conservation of this important species.
attached postage-paid postcard and let us know if you are willing to let us cross your property or not. If you have any concerns about this project please give us a call. We would love to talk with you about our research.

Sincerely
Steve Niemela
Conservation Strategy Implementation Biologist

********RESPONSE FROM LANDOWNERS: ********

Dear Mr. Niemela:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding accessing our property to survey for the yellow-legged frog. We may be able to help you out with this matter.
We have divided our 2.26 acres into 75 equal survey units with a draw tag for each unit. Application fees are only $8.00 per unit after you purchase the “Frog Survey License” ($120.00 resident / $180.00 Non-Resident).
You will also need to obtain a “Frog Habitat” parking permit ($10.00 per vehicle). You will also need an “Invasive Species” stamp ($15.00 for the first vehicle and $5.00 for each add’l vehicle) You will also want to register at the Check Station to have your vehicle inspected for non-native plant life prior to entering our property. There is also a Day Use fee, $5.00 per vehicle.
If you are successful in the Draw, you will be notified two weeks in advance so you can make necessary plans and purchase your “Creek Habitat” stamp. ($18.00 Resident / $140.00 Non-Resident). Survey units open between 8am and 3pm but you cannot commence survey until 9am and must cease all survey activity by 1pm.

Survey Gear can only include a net with a 2" diameter made of 100% organic cotton netting with no longer than an 18" handle, non-weighted and no deeper than 6" from net frame to the bottom of the net. Handles can only be made of BPA-free plastics or wooden handles. After 1pm you can use a net with a 3" diameter if you purchase the “Frog Net Endorsement” ($75.00 Resident / $250 Non-Resident). Any frogs captured that are released will need to be released with an approved release device back into the environment unharmed.
As of June 1, we are offering draw tags for our “Premium Survey” units and application is again only $8.00 per application. However, all fees can be waived if you can verify “Native Indian Tribal rights and status.
You will also need to provide evidence of successful completion of “Frog Surveys and You” comprehensive course on frog identification, safe handling practices, and self-defense strategies for frog attacks. This course is offered online through an accredited program for a nominal fee of $750.00.
Please let us know if we can be of assistance to you. Otherwise, we decline your access to our property but appreciate your inquiry.
Sincerely, Larry & Amanda Anderson
Piers

Size is something.

NetsukeManiac

Re: Some light reading for the coffee break

Postby NetsukeManiac » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:44 pm

xxx
Last edited by NetsukeManiac on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:27 am

:D :lol: :roll:
Nec spe nec metu

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:56 am

That could as well take place in California. Here we've been faced with Sierra trout lakes now favoring the yellow legged frog over fish and sport fishing. And there is a rare little spider that lives in some rocks near my home that prevents the building of a wall to prevent rock and mudslides into a major access road to the freeway with every winter storm.
Alan

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:29 am

Nice quotation. I was checking up on the usage of "ride shotgun" after watching an excellent old b&w cowboy movie, Station West.
The Stevens Point Journal (Wisconsin) from September 9, 1891, says: "Of all the devices and inventions for the protection of treasure and circumvention of the road agent, the only one that has stood the test of time and experience is a big, ugly-tempered man with a sawed-off shotgun on the box ... [I]t is the business of the man with the sawed-off shotgun not to let [the robber] get the drop, but to blaze away as soon as he shows up. The gun is sawed off for the greater convenience of the messenger in potting road agents. It is loaded with buckshot and scatters like a charge of bribery fired into a California legislature."
Last edited by chonchon on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:31 am

To the tune of
"A man can grow old,
Where there's whisky and gold..
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:44 am

Right on, Piers.
Alan

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:21 pm

No, I have no particular case against the good legislature of California! 8-)
Piers

Size is something.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:30 pm

The poor Steve Niemeia is trayng to obtain a Loan from his Bank....and remember all instructions and limitation....no other frog in the world is protected like this one....impressive the Anderson's rules!:D
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:17 pm

My glasses have been cutting into the bridge of my nose, so today in town (back in Japan) I spotted an optician and popped in to see if they could fit a little transparent silicon rest on the missing side.

They did better than that. They fitted both sides anew, and charged me nothing for it, and served me this while I was waiting...
(The little sign says 春のおとずれ Haru no otozure = The advent of spring)
Attachments
IMG_5304.JPG
Piers

Size is something.

Return to “Coffee Lounge”