netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Some light reading for the coffee break

A topic area to discuss whatever comes to mind from personal stories to images of your most recent holiday.
neilholton

Re: Some light reading for the coffee break

Postby neilholton » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:50 am

I guess so Piers, I think that is the set-up that I have heard of. Thanks for the link.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:52 am

I have an old set of sticks on string that were used for that, the dealer assured me. I still reserve judgement, though. :D
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:06 pm

Found them, against a Deme Uman mask for size.

8DFB1B02-7B6F-48B2-B038-38F71BD41D0B.jpeg
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:37 pm

Thanks for the information on furoshiki. Using these big old netsuke as handles over time would result in wear and patination that many find very pleasing. Now Anne is in the closet searching for old silk scarves and camping gear for parts to make a handle. I hope the grocery clerk has more patience than I while she whips out a scarf and ties her bundle. :lol:
Alan

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:54 pm

Alan, thanks for posting the images! I really like the dragon too. I think the image has a strange color, and would love to see the dragon the color it really is. But thanks so much. That little dragon is a charmer. Also really love the elegant inro. So colorful and looks in pristine condition. I am sure it was a great experience to be able to see them up close, even though you were not allowed a handling session.
Piers, thank you for the link! That is a great idea for a colorful shopping bag-- wonder where you can buy the straps?
I can see how the medal attachments made fastening easier, but I have never been a fan of them. They always seem to me to be an added feature, foreign to the original carving.
Neil, do you know if there were some that were actually carved with the medal attachments as part of the carver's original design?
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:24 pm

Hi Judy, great to see you back and over the worst of your bronchitis. Nasty stuff. Can I just check whether you are meaning to say medal, or metal, attachments?
It’s funny, now that you mention it, but they do seem to be from different worlds, ie that of the metal workers, cold and clunky, somehow related to swords and the samurai, and those from the easier (?) non warrior world of clothing and fashion.
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:34 pm

Judy, the baby dragon photo doesn't match its real color but personally I'm not crazy about its color and would prefer a darker stain. I also thought this Horaku bat had a rather light stain.
20180213_083023.jpg
Alan

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:40 pm

Piers, do you have a good example of a pouch with chain and ring attachment you could show in case any of our beginning collectors are thinking of a single link type of chain rather than the wide flat watchband/bracelet type affair the Japanese used?
Alan

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:06 pm

I have this example of a clutch or purse with chain and METAL ( ;) attachment. Not the best quality one I am sure but hope this helps.
Attachments
DSC05964.jpg
DSC05966.jpg
Judy

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:22 am

Thank you, Judy!
Alan

Return to “Coffee Lounge”