netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Removal of Netsuke Frontiers

As we have now moved to a new forum platform please help us by sharing any issues you identify. Please keep criticisms as short and concise as possible, limited to criticisms of the software (not people), so that it will be possible for us to review and fix them.
LoungeAdmin
Site Admin

Removal of Netsuke Frontiers

Postby LoungeAdmin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:44 am

Dear Community,

Last night we experienced a technical issue with one of the new Netsuke Frontier topics. On actioning a request to delete a "shadow topic", we found the original topic was also deleted. A support ticket was raised regarding this. The support reply to the ticket makes it clear that the topic is unrecoverable.

After a discussion with Clive, it has been decided to temporarily quarantine what remains, and remove the Netsuke Frontier forum, until further notice.
This is a test signature

Clive

Re: Removal of Netsuke Frontiers

Postby Clive » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:27 am

:(

That's really unfortunate Martyn as the permanent loss of the entire Part 1 makes it impossible to continue with Part 2.

I'll need to have a serious think about what to do now and temporarily quarantining what's left seems a good idea. Complete cock-ups aside, I think in these sorts of situations we have to look the positives.

Deep breaths. ;) ...The experience was I'm told informative to some collectors and I certainly learnt a thing or two about how I might better present that type of information in the future. My thanks to all those who contributed and who gave me that opportunity.

Best,
Clive

LoungeAdmin
Site Admin

Postby LoungeAdmin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:11 pm

Hi Clive,

I know the hard work you put into that thread since Sunday. Also from the community that contributed. I can only apologise profusely to all concerned.

I have submitted a complaint to PHPBB, and a request they change the documentation (found on there wiki https://wiki.phpbb.com/Shadow_topic) on deletion of shadow topics;

From

Note: Deleting shadow topics will NOT delete the actual topic.

To

Note: Deleting shadow topics WILL ALSO DELETE the actual topic.

The rest of the MOD team have also been informed of the unexpected behaviour so it won't happen again.

This thread has been locked so it remains as a concise explanation of what happened.

I hope now we can look forward.
This is a test signature

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:57 pm

Dear Community,

I'm happy to share some exciting news. I have been able to rebuild the lost thread from cached browser information. Hairwork Part 1 has been released into the Netsuke Frontiers forum.

Based on the above, Hairwork Part 2 has now been moved from a preserved forum and placed back into the public view under Netsuke Frontiers.

Everything is back "as it was". Enjoy.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Clive

Postby Clive » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:22 pm

Brilliant Martyn, thanks a million for taking so much trouble over it. Good Man.

Moving forward.. Might we now use this thread to ask the forum community to provide feedback on how best to proceed with the threads. I have prepared some more video of hair/fur carving (I put them aside when the thread was deleted but can finish off their editing and upload them to YouTube pretty quickly) which will help things along but unless folks are willing to post their own examples and use the method I've described, it might all be a waste of time. :?

Tama

Postby Tama » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:18 pm

I am willing, it's just porcelains do not really have hair work! :shock: I would love to continue this. I am seeing a whole new side to this art form. Thank you Clive.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:03 am

Martyn genius save. Fantastic job!
Piers

Size is something.

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:28 am

Bravo Martyn!
Thank you Clive.

Alison

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:59 am

Being able to recognize the intricacies of hair (and other) details is another tool to add to the arsenal as a buying collector. If one can grasp and recognize the techniques used by individual artists or perhaps schools of carvers, it would be a liberating factor when the opportunity arose to purchase or bid in an arena that is not aided by our trusted experts and dealers. Further, it would also help us recognize when a piece has been repaired or altered in some way. The most basic benefit would possibly be we could recognize BAD hairwork techniques, and then not be fooled by some Chinese or Korean knockoff.
The real "jewel" to me in this learning process would be seeing the netsuke in our own collections with "new eyes" -discovering things that we had not noticed before in pieces we have held one hundred times!
Judy

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:21 pm

Borrowing from Alison's post several above, 'Bravo Martyn and Thank You, Clive!'

I hope that others appreciate how much work both Clive and Martyn are doing and have done in their respective roles. The Christies' banner ad that you see was the result of a very late approach by Christies (it is paid advertising, which greatly helps INS's finances - we've run several paid banner ads here in the past) but, by accepting it on a time-sensitive basis - the event was nearly over - Martyn's planned day of site maintenence was preempted, causing him some serious disruption in his plans. Apologies for that happening, Martyn - I was away and otherwise engaged when that first came up - in the future, we will improve communications within our leadership ranks to schedule better and thus avoid impositions like that one.

Clive, I save weekend time to really study what you have been posting and drill down to make sure I understand it.
Also, to examine pieces from my collection which may help the discussion along. Clive needs our participation to teach what he is teaching here, so please let him know you are out there and following along.

A big THANK YOU to both Clive and Martyn! INS depends on volunteer labor by its members in 99% of what you see and enjoy as a member - we are only as good as those of our members who take time out of their busy lives to step up to help!
Bravo and Thank You!
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

Return to “The Lounge Technical Issues”