netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Online Security Issues (Nothing to do with this website)

As we have now moved to a new forum platform please help us by sharing any issues you identify. Please keep criticisms as short and concise as possible, limited to criticisms of the software (not people), so that it will be possible for us to review and fix them.
DSW90049

Online Security Issues (Nothing to do with this website)

Postby DSW90049 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:15 pm

Sometimes I go on this Netsuke and Sagemono Lounge using my Safari browser on one of my several Macs, and sometimes I use Firefox - the choice depends on some other programs I sometimes run; some are friendlier (and I think safer) for Firefox.

This morning, I was going from here to the INS website, running on Firefox (Mozilla), and I got this message instead of getting to the INS website from here:

"Your connection is not secure

"The owner of netsuke.org has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

"Learn more…

"Report errors like this to help Mozilla identify and block malicious sites"

-----
For further diagnostic information, I add that Firefox very recently updated - not a rare thing, but it was just the other day. Has the Mod Team experienced this? Anybody else?
-----
P.S. Tried it again after waiting - can go directly on either browser without the error message, it comes up when going from one browser to the other, and not every time either , , ,
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

AFNetsuke

Re: Online Security Issues

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:57 pm

I use Firefox most of the time and have not had this issue. However I see the warning occasionally with other sites.
Alan

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:32 pm

Hi David,

I can see why. When I visit the main INS website http://www.netsuke.org I also get a warning error. On the home page there is a form that asks for a plain text username/password via HTTP, not HTTPS. Some browser warn you that's not secure.

As a test - you could ask Aisha to temporarily remove the username / password from the landing page. I suspect your error will disappear.

To fix it for all;

1. Aisha would need to acquire a secure certificate for the domain netsuke.org.
  2. Aisha could redesign the login elements to circumvent the warning.

To fix it for you - just go to your browser settings and make http://www.netsuke.org a trusted site on your personal list.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:38 pm

I realised my previous post may have sounded like gobbledegook to most readers.

To clarify - this is not a security issue on the lounge - but a minor issue on the INS home site. I have highlighted in bold the part of the comment above that already explains David left this site.

DSW90049 wrote:This morning, I was going from here to the INS website, running on Firefox (Mozilla), and I got this message instead of getting to the INS website from here:

"Your connection is not secure

"The owner of netsuke.org has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Return to “The Lounge Technical Issues”