netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Feedback From CalBear

Please let us know what features you think could improve the forum. Remember the work is done for free and the love of Netsuke so be gentle with ideas.
calbear

Feedback From CalBear

Postby calbear » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:27 pm

I've spent a bit of time over the past few days looking through the structure and content ... I'll continue to do more in the next few days, but just wanted to get some of my observations down .... Overall, I'm quite impressed with the content and ease of use .. Huge effort and great job! .... Here's my thoughts, most of them minor in nature:

1) The amount of information in the tutorials is a bit overwhelming ... All good information, but for most new users, more than they would need .... I think for a new member, it might help to reorganize the information in subcategories as follows:

- Quick Start: including how to register, how to post a new topic, how to respond to an existing topic, how to PM .... This would satisfy the vast majority of users (give or take the addition of a few other very basic uses)
- Intermediate: including how to quote from another post, how to use the translator, etc
- Advanced: including most of the UCP stuff such as creating custom folders, editing notifications/posting defaults/display options etc

At the end of each of the subcategories could be a statement that "If you want to know how to ..." which would provide impetus for those who want to learn more ... But basically, the Quick Start subcategory should have just the basics to get started and would probably cover 80-90% of users ...

2) As discussed last Sunday, the order in which the tutorials appear is backwards due to date/timestamp .. the most basic info should appear first ...[have Martyn or Yan tried to save a tutorial outside and reimport the document to achieve a new time stamp in the order desired?-Alan]

3)Members section includes many with 0 posts, including spammers .. [Is it possible to at least eliminate known spammers from the member list? Some of the zero posters like Marsha may have not posted in the past but may in the future or so she said last night-Alan]

4)FAQs - under 'searching forums', the word 'advance' should be 'advanced'

5)On each of the tutorials, because they were posted by Martyn, the 'Pooh line' appears - these would be quite puzzling for a new user ... is it possible to repost with an admin sign on to avoid?

6)In the Intro to Netsuke and NLO's, NLO should be spelled out in the title (with NLO in parentheses) so that it's clear what an NLO is from the title - otherwise, I need to read the first paragraph to understand what the title refers to ..[I've done it-Alan]

7)in the Intro to Netsuke and NLO's , it would be great to have side-by-side comparisons of the same subject so that the reader can visually see the differences ...[hopefully Martyn will figure out how to post "in-line" side by side photos although I seriously need to get and learn a photo editor to do that instead such as Yan has done on the Subjects an Legends introduction. Perhaps I'll go back and substitute photos over time-Alan]

8) Under 'Forum Development' on main page, 'technical' is misspelled .... [only Martyn has admin privileges to change the Forum level titles-Alan]

9) I posted a picture in a new post which came over upside down (a problem experienced in the existing forum as well) ... the original photo was taken from an iPhone, and the attachment was pulled from my Mac laptop (and appeared fine on my laptop) .... not sure what causes this (and aside from forum testing I'd love to know) - but it also raises the question of whether or not a simple photo editor (or simply the ability to rotate attachments) on the new forum would be helpful ...[this seems to be an issue with the i-phone. I've had the same issue with Anne's when she's forwarded me a photo. I think I was able to save the photo by playing with it in an editor and got one in my NLO topic to finally come out correctly. I've noticed others have had this issue on the old forum occasionally. An editor within our site would be ideal for some people-Alan]

That's it for now .... More to come over the next day or two as I find more ...

souldeep

Re: Feedback From CalBear

Postby souldeep » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:16 am

Dear Steve,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to run through a user acceptance tests on the lounge before launch this coming Sunday. It is most appreciated :)

I see Alan has responded privately, whose responses you have shared in bold text in your post above. Thanks.

Overall the news sounds positive but let me address each of your suggestions/ideas here.

calbear wrote:1) The amount of information in the tutorials is a bit overwhelming ... All good information, but for most new users, more than they would need .... I think for a new member, it might help to reorganize the information in subcategories as follows:

- Quick Start: including how to register, how to post a new topic, how to respond to an existing topic, how to PM .... This would satisfy the vast majority of users (give or take the addition of a few other very basic uses)
- Intermediate: including how to quote from another post, how to use the translator, etc
- Advanced: including most of the UCP stuff such as creating custom folders, editing notifications/posting defaults/display options etc

At the end of each of the subcategories could be a statement that "If you want to know how to ..." which would provide impetus for those who want to learn more ... But basically, the Quick Start subcategory should have just the basics to get started and would probably cover 80-90% of users ...

Points taken on board.

There is already a Quick Start (Q.S.) how to post guide. Are you suggesting I break it up into smaller components?

There is also a how to register - have I missed naming it obviously?

In the next few days Jan and myself will expand the Q.S. section to try and add a few more obvious Q.S. guides e.g. inserting an image.

On the beginner / intermediate / advanced guide idea. Whilst I really like that approach, we have already implemented Q.S. guides to get people off the ground running. As a user, would it not be more useful to find guides named under the area you want to learn more about. I envisage that members might take a peek at the Q.S. guides initially - but in reality - will play around on the forum and then want to understand how to do things. For example if they want to know more about the UCP, then they will find those guides easily with the current structure. If we implemented a beginner / intermediate / advanced selection are we in danger of making it a bit harder to identify where the guide they want might be located?

calbear wrote:2) As discussed last Sunday, the order in which the tutorials appear is backwards due to date/timestamp .. the most basic info should appear first ...

Yes - topics appear in date order which is pretty standard. Although there is an admin tool to move around categories, forums, sub forums etc no such tool exists for topics or posts. I will be attempting today to reorder the topics into chronological order directly in the database by changing around timestamps. Fingers crossed!

calbear wrote:3)Members section includes many with 0 posts, including spammers ..

I could purge the membership list I've imported. In reality though - is there an easy way to identify which of the 0 posters may just have an account to read the forum? Will some of those 0 posters return on the new launch?

I think a good approach to dealing with your suggestion is to leave the imported list as is for the next two months. I will then run a check on those accounts that have not logged on and purge them from the DB.

calbear wrote:4)FAQs - under 'searching forums', the word 'advance' should be 'advanced'

I've made the change and it's live. Thanks.

calbear wrote:5)On each of the tutorials, because they were posted by Martyn, the 'Pooh line' appears - these would be quite puzzling for a new user ... is it possible to repost with an admin sign on to avoid?

Understood - I will deal with this at the same time as I re-order the guides.

calbear wrote:6)In the Intro to Netsuke and NLO's, NLO should be spelled out in the title (with NLO in parentheses) so that it's clear what an NLO is from the title - otherwise, I need to read the first paragraph to understand what the title refers to ..

Alan wrote the guide, and has resolved it.

calbear wrote:7)in the Intro to Netsuke and NLO's , it would be great to have side-by-side comparisons of the same subject so that the reader can visually see the differences ...

I am not totally happy with the vanilla functionality of phpbb and the image functionality you mention is an example of this. Still there is never one perfect solution.

I already have it on my list to try and re-organise images in a improved layout for posts. I believe what we have for go live is acceptable so it got moved down my priority list to be dealt with after launch. The one challenge for me is with this specific issue - I need to modify the core phpbb code. Every time I modify the core code it makes it that bit harder to take phpbb upgrades as new versions are released.

Workaround for the side-by-side comparison: If you just copy and paste the two images you want, side by side, into you image editing software. Save that new image then upload it to your post - they will display side-by-side, but as one image, in your post.

calbear wrote:8) Under 'Forum Development' on main page, 'technical' is misspelled ....

I've made the change and it is now live.

calbear wrote:9) I posted a picture in a new post which came over upside down (a problem experienced in the existing forum as well) ... the original photo was taken from an iPhone, and the attachment was pulled from my Mac laptop (and appeared fine on my laptop) .... not sure what causes this (and aside from forum testing I'd love to know) - but it also raises the question of whether or not a simple photo editor (or simply the ability to rotate attachments) on the new forum would be helpful ...

This is a localised issue specific to your OS/Computer - nothing to do with the new forum as you have already inferred.

So what causes it?

Most people first noticed this issue when iOS 5 was released. This was the first time that you could take a photo using the volume up button.

The only problem is that when you hold your camera with the volume buttons pointing up, your photos will be upside down on most Windows machines.

If you rotate your iPhone, the camera sensor won’t know about it. It will simply record the image and save it to a file, letting the software on your phone do the rest.

To make sure that your photos are displayed correctly, your iPhone adds information about the correct rotation of the photo to the properties of each image, which are specified in EXIF tags.

Your iPhone doesn’t convert any images to the correct orientation because that would keep it busy for a few seconds. Instead it simply saves all photos as they were recorded and adds information about their correct orientation to EXIF tags.

So the real issue is that some software developers, including Microsoft, ignore the specific Mac information that’s stored in EXIF tags.

Whose fault is it? Depends which side of the OS you stand. Apple would say everyone else should adopt their Max specific EXIF data, Microsoft would say whatever.

Why can't we all just get along and find common solutions in life huh :lol:

However - this being said - I think an image editor for uploading would be a real beneficial addition for the members. i have also considered a possible gallery section for members to manage all images they have uploaded. I'll add it to the growing list of wants.

Thanks again for all the feedback Steve :D
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

calbear

Postby calbear » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:02 am

Martyn, thanks for the detailed reply ....

Just to clarify my point on the tutorials - unless I'm misreading, the only tutorials named 'Quick Start' are for registration and PMs ... what I was suggesting was combining a few of the existing tutorials into a Quick Start for Posting, so that I wouldn't have to go to multiple tutorials to figure out how to do a simple first post .... that being said, it's a personal preference - all of the information needed is already there - it's simply a matter of what level of patience a new user will have with having to go through multiple tutorials to figure out how to do a single post .... So it will work as currently structured, it may just take a bit more effort for a new user ....

And thanks for the insight on the posting of iPhone shots ... I don't take shots using the volume button, so if if I take future shots with the volume buttons pointing down, all shots will end up with the correct orientation ... is that correct? ...

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:09 pm

Hi Steve,

I will use images to make sure we are not talking at cross purpose.

I have split the Misc / Quick Guide forum into two. This I think will help make clearer that everything in the Quick Guide forum is only a Quick Guide :D

forstevelistofcats.jpg

Here is the content of the Quick Guide forum with all I have up till now - do you feel it still requires other Quick Guides before launch?

forstevelistofguides.jpg
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:11 pm

calbear wrote:And thanks for the insight on the posting of iPhone shots ... I don't take shots using the volume button, so if if I take future shots with the volume buttons pointing down, all shots will end up with the correct orientation ... is that correct? ...

That is my understanding - I am not an iPhone user myself. A quick test next to your PC should prove the theory :)

calbear

Postby calbear » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:13 pm

Martyn, thanks ... We're making progress .... When I think about a Quick Guide for a new user, it seems that they would need (in this order):
- Registration
- Posting Form Overview
- Starting A New Topic
- Inserting Images
- Atttachments
- Submitting Reply to Post

Those are the most basic activities that would be performed by new users and would satisfy a good chunk of what they need to know without going to any other tutorials ... The other stuff that's currently in Quick Start mostly is about Private Messaging ... I don't know that a new user would need to know about that right away - wondering if those tutorials should go under a Tutorial: Private Messaging .... Then what hasn't been covered by the Quick Start guide can remain in the existing groupings ....

Please take the above comment as one point of view .... it's possible that, for example, there are a lot of new users using PMs and so there is a reason for those to be under a Quick Start heading .... you would know better than I do what the normal course of activities would be .... If you disagree with my suggestion, that's not an issue since all of the information that's needed is in the existing structure .. and by the way, each of the tutorials is very clearly written - nice job! ....

Return to “The Lounge Features Wishlist”