netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Whats going on in this new forum?

Please let us know what features you think could improve the forum. Remember the work is done for free and the love of Netsuke so be gentle with ideas.
souldeep

Whats going on in this new forum?

Postby souldeep » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:04 pm

This is a forum in which you can post any features you might like developed.

Although developments of new features will rely on the time and good will available from the development team (currently only Souldeep - if you are a PHP developer please apply to help!) please do list your wishes or suggestions.

Currently the dev team is working on providing:

1. If there are enough members that want this, a built in spell checker for those of your without a spell check facility in the browser.
  2. Translating the whole site into two new languages - Japanese and Hungarian. Please contact the mod team if you feel you could contribute to the translation.
  3. A document and media area on the Forum to publish original research results, articles and video tutorials.
  4. A Totally new post editor with many more formatting options.

You can help us right now by submitting content such as:

1. Articles: short, introductory articles on -
    1. An Introduction to Netsuke
    2. Where and how they may be acquired
    3. How to begin collecting
    4. How to avoid the new collector pitfalls
    5. Photo essays showing the development of Netsuke through the centuries
    6. A comprehensive materials document to cover all aspects
    7. Carvers that are willing to provide tutorials of the process and techniques they use to carve a Netsuke
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

onimh

Re: Whats going on in this new forum?

Postby onimh » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:19 pm

Great job to all those involved in putting this together. An EXTRAORDINARY amount of work.

I've spent some time going through the various sites. The headers/explanations for NLOs, materials, definitions and others are excellent, wonderfully done and a great asset to refer newcomers to when necessary rather than re-explaining the same thing over and over.

I have only one suggestion/request, and not a big deal if it can't or won't be implemented:
When I (or anyone) enters the site the list of forums does not include the list available to members. That only shows up when you log on. I think it should even though those sections wouldn't be accessible unless you log on. The reason for this is two-fold.
First, personally, I don't stay logged on to anything unless I'm actively using it. This means that just to see if there are any new posts I'd want to read I have to log on each time-a minor nuisance when I log on to find nothing new.
Second, and I think more important to the INS, it will show those who are not members what they are missing and can't access unless they sign up.

Regardless, GREAT JOB. Thank you.
MH

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:45 pm

Hi Matt

I think often it is rarely understood the exact skills and work that goes on in this sort of project delivery. It would seem you have a very good grasp of the effort behind it. This makes your thanks even more appreciated. So thank you!

Nothing is perfect - and we must always look at way to improve the experience and benefits of this digital solution for the members and to engage the wider public in the celebration of the art form. So a big thank you also for your feedback.

I fully take your points regarding the INS area on board. It is hidden for a number of reason, and one of those reasons was because members requested an area stop the general public seeing sensitive information. There is no way I can think of right now to make the structure actively visible to a guest login without showing post topics or sensitive content.

However - on your second point - it's on my to do list. I need to update the public INS advert section to show the sort of benefits, structure of the members forum, and explain the historical content that has been preserved for searching. I will get it done in the next few weeks.

Thanks again. Positive feedback like this can be lacking - human nature tends to focus on negative aspects. We know we can't please all - but this development was born from the members input on the old forum lock down thread end of Jan and through Feb. I truly believe it has provided the answer to all of those points for any members that took the time to engage in the debate.

Oh and remember - this is only phase 1. The roots have been planted. Much much more to come as the digital solution expands. Watch this space :D
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:04 am

Matt, you can always subscribe to the forums you are most interested in and receive e-mail notifications. Although I find them somewhat annoying, those who want to know when the are quoted or someone posts in a topic they are particularly interested in it does give you a heads up. I'm likely not the best person to comment on these systems of notification since I read virtually every post throughout the day (time permitting).
Alan

onimh

Postby onimh » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:13 am

Thanks Alan.
I'll probably just log on a few times a day to check things out though.
No big deal.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:40 am

Matt, it is feedback such as you've given that helps us provide a better experience for users. It's great that you log in a couple of times a day. Your posts are always valuable to the discussions.
Alan

Tama

Postby Tama » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:47 am

I may be missing something, when I click on a photograph thumbnail to enlarge it, I am stuck in that one photo and I am using the back button to view the rest of the photos in a post. I haven't seen the arrows on the side of the photos to advance to the next slide. How do we use the click to enlarge and move to the next slide? :?

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:44 am

Jill, you are using phpBB system which does not function the same as the old websitetoolbox site. Martyn will be working on issues with photos. In the meantime you will need to use your "back" button to return from the photo you clicked on to enlarge. But because of the enhanced photos viewing here you may find you don't need to enlarge things as often. The file size limit is 800 px for in-line photos and anything larger will be automatically reduced in size and those are the ones you need to click on if you want more detail.
Alan

Tama

Postby Tama » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:16 am

I am finding this in the archived threads.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:24 am

Yes, Jill, but the archived topics have been imported to phpBB and the system you are in is what you must use.
Alan

Return to “The Lounge Features Wishlist”