netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Forum post lock down

Please let us know what features you think could improve the forum. Remember the work is done for free and the love of Netsuke so be gentle with ideas.
borat

Postby borat » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:01 am

I understand Martyn.  If I don't agree with the Trading Post, I don't have to use it.  No problem actually then.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:23 am

Hi Dave - I added quotes to your previous message to make it easier reading for members.
NetsukeManiac wrote:Until fully implemented, I have no idea if your proposed solution will answer my concerns. My hope is that it will answer the concerns of most members, including me.Dave
You present a catch 22.

It doesn’t need to be. Remember this is not going to be forced on anyone - although I've got a number of items set up - If the members don't think it answers the questions it doesn’t have to be made live.

The solution has been posted to specifically investigate if it answers the members concerns, previously raised. If you want me to extract a list of your previous complaints and provide a PM with answers to each point I will do so - however to do this for each member will take me a while which is why I was hoping for it to take place on this thread instead.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:34 am

Martyn, my only concern is the lack of freedom I have when it comes to editing a post. I have not made a habit of deleting the many photos that I have posted over the past 5+ years, but I would like the ability to in case I want to. For me that's it.

Dave

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:41 am

kikue wrote:
NetsukeManiac wrote:"

Good idea Martyn! But let's make sure the proposed netsuke marketplace is only made available to paying members and dealers. This way at least we have some assurance that it won't be flooded by NLOs and resin copies. I imagine it could have a 'Dealer' section, for those dealers brave enough to post prices, and a separate 'Private Party' section for the rest of us.

Dave

It sounds like a good idea, but I am sad to hear that because I am not a paying member (I was once many years ago, though).

Kikue...you are not a NLO visitor...you are a very strong, valuable and present contributor in this forum, mainly with translations we need...So, let see in the new future formulas in the Modules, including the "Private Kanji translations" proposal...you are always welcome....
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:15 am

Blue color note of LUBlub

DSW90049 wrote:.... Last, as for INS membership, it still costs $125 USD per year,..I have proposed approx two years ago to increase the annual fee, let say at usd 135, is not a dramatic increase for anybody of the current Members...which we have held at this point for many years, and out of which, among other things, cmes the funding for this website and Forum (the new modular platform we are working out could save INS thousands of dollars annually). If you truly want to be a member, but you sincerely cannot spare $125 USD, please let me, Alan or Martyn know, privately. I'm thinking of arranging for an endowment to help those who are truly needy, afford to pay their INS membership fee - perhaps as a Buddy System, where a more experienced member can also mentor a newer member...delicate point, how Mod's/or mentor can analyze and judge the true and degree of necessity of people who you don't know? only in base of their declarations and explanations and your good will?...people who wish to be netsuke collector certainly must have the minimum budget to be collector and 0,34 cents a day is really very low fee...INS & this website and Forum serve an educational purpose; just like with colleges and universities, nobody deserving should be denied an education due to lack of money. ...agree with this sacred principle, but some one need to pay, colleges and universities have Foundations with rich donors...INS is currently involved how to increase his revenue...we must consider this our present reality
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:31 am

Blue color is LUBlub note

souldeep wrote: ...TRADING POST EXPLAINED IN A BIT MORE DETAIL...agree with the trading place and explanations...(secure lock + the responsibility of the two members to arrange everything including declaring any damage etc....and "It's the same concept EXCEPT all responsibility is covered by a legal disclaimer eradicating any INS involvement. It's a community managed solution for a gap in the market place. It’s an introducer to encourage networking in the Netsuke world and opens up the community to much wider interactions."...

Tama

Postby Tama » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:10 pm

I feel that the Wikki format would work quite well for the educational and posterity purposes. Pictures can be added for illustrations of the points of information provided. I am sure we all realize that this would become permanent and the pictures would stay as part of the educational pages. Everyone can add to these, I am not sure how it works as I have never added anything to a Wikki page, but I am sure we will all learn how! I am a Wikki user and have been for many years. I found the information provided on Wikki to be accurate and most helpful. I was actually able to site Wikki in college when I discussed with my professor the solid information provided by Wikipedia, he read the definition I wanted to use as a source and he gave the green light and had a new found respect for Wikki. This will work.

The banter that usually accompanies a thread will not be included, we will have a social center for that. I am in favor of this aspect of the new format. I for one prefer that all the arguments and fights that some threads dissolve into will not be part of the history or educational legacy of the INS. I am still digesting the rest of the diagram and the workings of that. I am very optimistic and excited over this new format!

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:15 pm

DSW90049 wrote:There are still a LOT of details to be worked out. Your thoughts, suggestions and constructive comments will be appreciated so that we can take it all into consideration. The proper and full response to the "treading water" comment would require recounting of what would be a book-length story of the history of the INS website and Forum, starting with its original creation - in which, NONE of the people who currently operate and maintain it, were involved. Technological options were far more limited 11-12 years ago, when this all began, and we should be VERY thankful for the far-sightedness and pioneering efforts of people like former INS Pres. John Hawley, Norman Sandfield, and others; it was they who originally foresaw the possibilities. In short, since space does not permit the telling of this full story, NOBODY made a decision at any time to simply 'tread water,' and much effort has been expended, and will be expended, to fully complete our makeover to a modern modular platform. It is all too easy to forget that this INS website and Forum, funded by INS, is run almost entirely by volunteer labor, and lots of it, on both sides of the Atlantic to give us our global coverage. If any with advanced IT skills wish to volunteer to help us, please PM either me or Martyn. Last, as for INS membership, it still costs $125 USD per year, a price which we have held at this point for many years, and out of which, among other things, comes the funding for this website and Forum (the new modular platform we are working out could save INS thousands of dollars annually - emphasis added ). If you truly want to be a member, but you sincerely cannot spare $125 USD, please let me, Alan or Martyn know, privately. I'm thinking of arranging for an endowment to help those who are truly needy, afford to pay their INS membership fee - perhaps as a Buddy System, where a more experienced member can also mentor a newer member. INS & this website and Forum serve an educational purpose; just like with colleges and universities, nobody deserving should be denied an education due to lack of money.

David, if the INS board and the forum's administration hasn't been "treading water" but you're willing to acknowledge that a different forum platform could save the INS thousands of dollars annually, then it raises the question of why the INS hasn't made these massive savings before ?

(We've all known for years what the problems with moving the forum are, all of which are on record in the earlier "Forum Upgrade" threads.)

I raise this not to be unnecessarily critical of past inaction and misjudgements but because those past threads clearly suggest that the biggest challenge to our making progress on this issue has always been the INS leadership's reluctance to make difficult decisions. Will the INS under your leadership make the decisions that are needed or is it going to be just more of the same old same old ?

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:21 pm

Clive, what's your take on Martyn's new Modular Platform ideas ?
Jan

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:49 pm

I broadly support them Oishi. They are.. as I'm sure Martyn will acknowledge very similar to the solution I proposed many years ago when we first started discussing this issue.

As my previous comments and question to David suggests.. the reason why we haven't made progress is not because the solution couldn't be found but because the solution required difficult decisions to be made by a group of people who traditionally don't like to make difficult decisions. In fact they don't even like being told that they don't like to make difficult decisions and they will no doubt vigorously dispute the claim, but the evidence is pretty overwhelming.

Return to “The Lounge Features Wishlist”