netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Forum post lock down

Please let us know what features you think could improve the forum. Remember the work is done for free and the love of Netsuke so be gentle with ideas.
LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:00 pm

Clive wrote:Well Dave... maybe the anonymity option hasn't been properly appreciated... by collectors that have until now registered on this forum and by those regular posters who have issues with the removal of edit/delete function.

:idea:

Yes. agree... (including post 176) this is one of the option/solutions that myself have considered and still consider....change nick name, profile and other details...and asking Mod's to delete the reference of number of posts posted before the change ( in my case as example 3578) in order to not associate the "pre and present" profile...
Before that I wait the final solution that will be proposed....
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:05 pm

The one challenge I see with this - a number of members have expressed the need to remove images for more than just reasons of anonymity. E.g. signature removed or restoration work. They wish for the images to be wiped from the history of the digital domain.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:44 pm

souldeep wrote:They wish for the images to be wiped from the history of the digital domain.

They should be told that nothing they post in cyber space can ever be "removed".

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:50 pm

Oh how true. By the very nature of sharing in the public domain those rights are, by default, given up. Trouble is right now some members don't understand that harsh reality and instead believe that controls on one platform will give them control over that data. Changing options on the platform only provides the illusion of control. In reality, at the moment of posting in the public domain, those images have moved outside the control of any one platform.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:08 pm

A community as concept is about give and take. Most of us like the idea of searching and finding information - yet if we only share privately we no longer contribute to that wider community. For community to remain harmonious and productive it requires a balance. Is there not a contradiction in supporting the concept of community whilst retaining the individual desire to only share privately?

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:09 pm

[QUOTE=souldeep]The one challenge I see with this - a number of members have expressed the need to remove images for more than just reasons of anonymity. E.g. signature removed or restoration work. They wish for the images to be wiped from the history of the digital domain.[/quote] Matyn,,,I speak for myself...My only reason of concern is protection in the "anonymous property" in prevision of future laws on ivory (US and Europe) and other protected materials in which by logic the INS forum will be one of the first source of "consult"....I do not mind the photographic material published previously with my current nickname and profile…
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:18 pm

Understood Luigi. And the MOD's are here to help with that if the issue you explain suddenly arose before any viable solution is presented to, and agreed upon, with the community :)

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:22 pm

souldeep wrote:.... Is there not a contradiction in supporting the concept of community whilst retaining the individual desire to only share privately?

Not contradictionj for people/Members/collectors who freely decided to "give and take" in the forum giving generously and actively to the community and at the same time use his right to share and consult privately, if we delete the word "only ...."
No problem at all.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:25 pm

souldeep wrote:Understood Luigi. And the MOD's are here to help with that if the issue you explain suddenly arose before any viable solution is presented to, and agreed upon, with the community :)

Tks so much Martyn...and all depend of the next viable solution...

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:33 pm

Firstly a thank you to all of you as a community that have provided patience. I know it’s been a testing and sad period for us all.

I accept that trying to squeeze something to suit everyone into one application fails. I think we have all been surprised, and seen the division, amongst us caused by limitations of the existing architecture. In this digital age we have no excuses left – it’s time for change – it’s time to modernise. The current forum is not fit for purpose as an educational database AND a community chat centre – and why would it be – forums by their very nature are for community to freely discuss and interact. It needs to have certain elements of individual control (whilst staying within fair rules of conduct).

What is the answer that provides something for all? I believe it is a modularised approach. Why try to make software do what it is not built for, causing tensions amongst the community? A good modularised solution integrates seamlessly with complementary components and allows each piece of software to focus on what it does best.

As individuals it’s natural to have day to day differences of opinion but all of us unite under the banner of our love for Netsuke – without community the Netsuke world won’t thrive. So community must be placed at the heart of the Global Netsuke Digital Architecture. Everything can feed into and out of this, and evolve in its own natural way.

Here is a diagram I submitted to the INS. Although no definitive response has been provided, it is time for the community to see the solution and provide your feedback. After all - it's a proposal with you guys at the centre, the old, current and hopefully a whole new raft of community.

Below the diagram I summarise the details of each component;

PRIVATE MANAGED MODULES

It is natural to conclude that the INS cannot provide all solutions to the members requirements. Instead it would be beneficial to think about a solution that communicates with a common interface considering private venture too. There are for example, private Kanji translation sites out there, proposed blog solutions and dealer expertise that given the chance and a common interface could be integrated into the heart of this new solution, the forum.

COMMUNITY MANAGED MODULES

This is where you, the community, manage the content through dedication, expertise and your passion for Netsuke. At the heart of the solution is a new forum. It will focus on what a forum should really do - being a hub for the community. You will be able to edit content historically (remove images if you wish to do so), and find much more flexibility and options available to you on the new software. All the other solutions will integrate into the very heart of this forum, for example integrated user accounts across the core modules. This forums will be Multilingual to help increase the global interest and community.

There will be a new website, although integrated into the forum too, for those that wish to help develop educational content. In considering what the educational database structure should look like it was obvious that it should not be overly complicated, familiar with the community already, and perhaps even simplified. Let me introduce www.netsukepedia.org. A Wiki for Netsuke that the community can participate in populating and managing together. You are all familiar with Wikipedia - this solution uses the same software, only you will be able to edit and create data without needing to understand the Wiki language. An editor like you use now to edit your posts, will be available instead. This module will also be Multilingual.

A proposed trading site will be made available. Netsuke and other forms of Sagemono will be made available in a trade like application in which the pieces will be submitted under anonymous conditions. Beside the submission, "wants" will be included and members will be able to submit offers that fit the wants. When a match is made the two traders will be put in direct contact and will be able to privately communicate to arrange delivery details etc.

INS MANAGED MODULES

These are existing and already familiar to the community here.

Afterword

You may of noticed I've not been around on the forum so much recently. Instead I have been reviewing different items of software and trying to find the answers to fit a best solution for all. I have a dedicated server up and running, domain names registered, and software installed. I'm currently in the process of working out the integration points. We have a base ready - but more work is still understandably required.

Above really is a light summary, but if you've made it this far then I'm grateful. It's natural you will have many questions about the detail so if you want to know more about the details feel free to PM me, or discuss it openly here.

I hope this new solution provides each of you with the answer to what you were looking for - please share your feelings here...
Attachments
2599531_GlobalDigitalNetsukeArchitecture_(1).png

Return to “The Lounge Features Wishlist”