netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Forum post lock down

Please let us know what features you think could improve the forum. Remember the work is done for free and the love of Netsuke so be gentle with ideas.
souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:48 pm

Dear All,

Today the delete and edit functions have been disabled on individual posts. This has been applied without warning so we lock down what content remains on the forum as of now. I realise some of you will not be happy with this reduction of features and I take full responsibility for this action (David and Alan still not online). I strongly believe it is for the greater good in the longer term for the following reasons.

1) Individuals have been going back and editing content of old posts meaning the integrity of the rest of the thread has been compromised.

2) We have holes of information all over the place where members have decided to delete their historic posts on an ad hoc basis.

3) On a number of occasions whole threads have been deleted because a member has deleted the first post.

4) There has been a certain culture of "fire then edit" on the forum. This encourages burst of personal debates that are then easily cleared up by the same individuals later. With the disabling of the above mentioned features this clearing up is no longer possible. I hope this will encourage us all to think over a post before we commit it to the searchable history of the forum.

I've left this thread open so that you can personally vent at me over the change. I'd rather the transparency.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:47 pm

Hi,

My humblest apologies to you all. I have been informed that no one could respond because this thread was locked down. I've moved it to this topic area which will automatically open it.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

neilholton

Postby neilholton » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:01 pm

Martyn, I think this is a great idea. Being able to alter and modify posts spoils the whole flow of the threads.

You have my vote.

tanukisan

Postby tanukisan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:14 pm

Attachments
2569597_images.jpg

John 

Clive

Postby Clive » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:36 pm

Excellent. 8-)

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:09 am

Martyn's actions have the full support of David and I and I regret I did not take the action he did when I was reading and posting last night.
Alan

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:15 pm

Finally... this is the best solution....

Attachments
2570330_nbb.jpg
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

tanukisan

Postby tanukisan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:33 pm

Minor point, but puzzled why my big thumbs up image ( post #4) has disappeared/ been locked down to be replaced with 'images jpg' ?????

John 

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:47 pm

I still see it John.

warburg

Postby warburg » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:55 pm

I do empathize with you. The greatest negative effect for me, however, is that I can't go back and edit out the typographical and syntactical errors I almost invariably make when I first write something.  

Return to “The Lounge Features Wishlist”