netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

dealer section

Please let us know what features you think could improve the forum. Remember the work is done for free and the love of Netsuke so be gentle with ideas.
GiantSquid

Postby GiantSquid » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:44 pm

For what it is worth I agree with SC (and Alan)

Richard
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones." John Maynard Keynes, 1883 - 1946

INS member since November 2012

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 am

SC, have you been watching Jim Cramer's "Mad Money" show? I rather like the Thread of Shame idea.
Martyn, I hope I'm not discouraging you at all with my devil's advocate approach I tend to use at times. I genuinely appreciate all the ideas flowing from you (and others).
Alan

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:53 am

No way! Jim Cramer is just way too loud and animated for me. Luckily we don't get his show here in Japan. :)

SC

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:42 am

AFNetsuke wrote:
SC, have you been watching Jim Cramer's "Mad Money" show? I rather like the Thread of Shame idea.
Martyn, I hope I'm not discouraging you at all with my devil's advocate approach I tend to use at times. I genuinely appreciate all the ideas flowing from you (and others).

No not discouraged at all my friend. Ideas are just that - sometimes they are implemented other times ignored and some times breed a debate that generates a whole set of new ideas and questions (as is happening here). This is healthy :)

I am against the thread of shame because of something fundamental - with my current understanding we allow people to turn up - post - and disappear. Sellers for EBAY are allowed (but we don't evaluate a piece financially) If this is allowed then you can't blame the user for doing what is allowed - why the heck would we shame them for doing something we allow!?

There still seems to be a real split in opinion on the INS policy. It is either a policy in which;

1) The INS forum allows people to post and get expert opinions whoever they are and whatever they intend to do with the information
OR
2) It is against the INS policy

If 1) then we should find a good way to manage exceptions and make it clear to everyone so in future we don't create threads full of negative reactions that just scare people off further. Currently I understand this is the INS position.

If 2) then Thread of shame is a totally acceptable approach.

So from the board could we a clear understanding of where the forum is positioned in this stance? This is it the very core of how we then move forward in the debate. Any ideas then discussed can be focused around the very core of what the forum is - not a subjective opinion on how we feel it should be.

PS My ethos behind this threads ideas are to try and a) generate less emotive reactions b) make the posts on this forum seem like a much happier welcoming place to visit (which to be honest at the moment have many negative comments that I propose scare the meeker individuals away)

PPS Little Malia is back fast asleep after a mammoth feed (I give mum a sleep in Saturdays) so I'm off Netsuke hunting - catch you all later 8-)
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:44 pm

Martyn, I think the Thread of Shame thread idea was us just blowing off some steam if we felt used. I doubt new posters looking to pick our brains for profit are going to read it anyway so it would not be a deterrent.
There is NO official INS policy on what goes on here on the Forum. However, traditionally the Forum has avoided giving monetary appraisals or allowing buying, selling, trading or solicitating within the Forum itself. Clearly, however, there have been deals made between parties via private messaging or e-mail.
Alan

Return to “The Lounge Features Wishlist”