netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

dealer section

Please let us know what features you think could improve the forum. Remember the work is done for free and the love of Netsuke so be gentle with ideas.
Vlad

Postby Vlad » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:46 pm

May it be possibly easier to compose a thread with a standard text suggesting that the shown pieces are commercial tourist souvenirs (NLO), suggesting some books to read and a recommendation to get in touch with a dealer or a serious collector in the area, to be locked and the link to which to be provided in response to any similar request? Anybody seriously interested in collecting should welcome such an opportunity. All others will just go away...
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:11 pm

You mean like a sticky at the top of the forum?

Could you explain a bit more about what you mean by "suggesting that the shown pieces are commercial tourist souvenirs (NLO)"? Do you mean we will select say 5 NLO's to always be shown? If so wouldn't someone else look and not be able to associate the NLO's we have in that thread with the NLO they may have or am I barking up the wrong idea tree here? Beginners find it difficult to see the differences without it is an exact replica they are comparing with I think.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:21 pm

Not examples, but just a standard response to a query in a form of a locked thread in the Beginners Forum starting with something like: "This is to be provided as a response to..." , to which the link will be posted every time someone comes to us with another NLO regardless of their purpose or intent. It should also include a paragraph on uselessness of signature reading in such cases, of course.
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:37 pm

Oh I see - well that actually makes good sense but...

Who will decide to post it? I mean take the recent wooden rabbit scenario - initally I noticed a split on opinion. This does happen more often than I would have thought.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

kaibutsu

Postby kaibutsu » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:41 pm

I think the idea of a standard NLO response is good, especially with warnings about modern-/-poached ivory. As to who would post when- any of us when appropriate. Weather permitting, I should try to write one up myself...
INS mascot

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:43 pm

souldeep wrote:Oh I see - well that actually makes good sense but...

Who will decide to post it? I mean take the recent wooden rabbit scenario - initally I noticed a split on opinion. This does happen more often than I would have thought.

True, but how is it going to be different from just writing it again and again, as we do now? Anybody, who feels like responding, would just be able to post the link instead. This should not prevent others from adding anything they want, as they do currently, but will save the time and the effort, which seems to be the major complain at the moment.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:51 pm

The complaint is not about saying what it is so much as when members start to spend time asking questions.

Also do you think a seller will not ask anymore questions but a collector would?

Remember the problem with two threads ago was the seller had a nice piece - Suzime spent time talking about it and was upset, as well as Alan, when they found out it was all for an ebay sale.

It doesn't follow that NLO = Quick sale inquiry - Good Piece = Collector.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:56 pm

My point being - I think an NLO response in a link is a great idea in it's own right and should be implemented if we are willing to allow room for error (and correction). Remember that because the link idea is so "final" there would no longer be room for debate on what is posted. At the moment some members will say what they like in a piece without committing to an exact commitment to if it's NLO or its Netsuke.

BUT this link idea doesn't resolve the issue I have raised in this thread.

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:09 pm

Sorry, Martyn, I guess I just didn't understand the issue then. My point is - we should not spend time on discussing NLOs no matter who posts them, unless someone really likes to get into details. But then again, why would it be important who asked the question - a seller or a collector, if one cares more about giving an answer anyway?;)

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:19 pm

Vlad wrote:My point is - we should not spend time on discussing NLOs no matter who posts them

Agreed - and your idea is a very good solution to that.

Vlad wrote:But then again, why would it be important who asked the question - a seller or a collector

Because of the energy invested by existing members based on intention. That is the reason people have been getting upset. Members start writing decent advice and support to the newbie only to find out the item in discussion is for sale on EBAY the next day. It's great that members share so much - but for the right people - the collector that really does want to become a long term forum poster and has a true desire to learn. They are worth investing time in. For the quick seller - we can be to the point and give them what they want without the frills.

Return to “The Lounge Features Wishlist”