netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Advice on Purchase

Read the forums, still got questions, looking for tips or books to read? Then this is the forum for you to visit.
tanukisan

Re: Advice on Purchase

Postby tanukisan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:15 pm

George is looking good! Is your cow really a cow or an ox - I'm curious to know!

John 

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:08 am

Hi Greg,
We have something in common--I have a toad that might at least be from the same school as your toad. Mine is not signed - is yours? I just got mine a couple of years ago from an auction. It was owned for many years by the Princess of Hessen in Germany. I will have to look up the other info--I don't remember any more. But here is my toad, and he seems a kin to yours! He is large at 5.8cm x 4.5cm x 2.3cm tall.
Attachments
toad.jpg
Judy

UPenn

Postby UPenn » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:59 am

Hi John, it was sold to me as "18th century netsuke of a recumbent cow and a calf whose head is resting on the side of its mother." but you might be right it might be an ox. I will post a picture shortly, I'd like to know for sure myself so maybe you can help identify it.
Thank you :)
My name is Greg, life is good, code green.

UPenn

Postby UPenn » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:01 am

Hi Judy that is so awesome, that must be George's big sister. When they're that similar is it safe to assume they come from the same workshop? George is about 3.5 cm long so a bit smaller. He's also unsigned, here's a picture of his belly:

toad_pic2.jpg
Last edited by UPenn on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:08 am

I think naturalistic unsigned carvings of toads would be hard to attribute to schools without other distinguishing features.
Alan

UPenn

Postby UPenn » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:14 am

Yeah naturalistic I get it, there are no distinguishing artistic features to pin it down.
I wonder if the carver's DNA is still on these things.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:39 am

The bottom is a telltale thing, with it being so plain and the feet and toes contained within a circle- very different from all my other toads that are completely finished on the bottom as well. I know there is at least one other collector with a similar toad-can't remember who--I don't think they are the same carver, but might be from the same area where it was common practice to finish them in this strange way. Three major differences between yours and mine that I can note- the size- I have always thought carvers liked to work in the same size when doing things as they were familiar with a specific format- but that is just a guess on my part. Also, the back feet on yours is quite different from mine, and the himotoshi a little different as well. The eyes on mine don't bulge but are flat inlaid, and they are inset into and secondary carved area in the eye and don't take up that whole space as yours do. But similar enough to cause pause!
Attachments
toad bottom.jpg
Last edited by jbjtennyo on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judy

UPenn

Postby UPenn » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:04 am

Yeah when I see the bottom of yours that seals it, definitely not the same artist. I really like yours if you ever want to part with it I'd be interested, she's definitely a female toad don't you think? George could use some female companionship, even if she's a bit out of his league.

I always thought Netsuke should be detailed from every side even the himotoshi side, like yours is. So that was one thing that gave me some reservation in getting this one. But it has so much character and I love the mouth, it just spoke to me.

The cow I'm more concerned about because it's just too perfect, I mean I trust Dmitry but it's just seems too good to be true.

I'll post pics of her tonight.

Thanks for sharing :)
Last edited by UPenn on Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:42 am

Do we not have an ox or a cow thread here somewhere?
Piers

Size is something.

UPenn

Postby UPenn » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:53 am

Sorry if there's a better thread for this, I'll search for that and post this there if I find it.

But in the meantime this is Bertha the cow (I think) with daughter cow Margaret. Please let me know if there's anything I should worry about, it just seems too perfect. I've been considering carbon 14 dating, they can do that now with a microscopic sample. Thanks everybody! :)

cow1.jpg

cow2.jpg

cow3.jpg

cow4.jpg

cow5.jpg

cow6.jpg

Return to “Beginning Collecting”