netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Advice on Purchase

Read the forums, still got questions, looking for tips or books to read? Then this is the forum for you to visit.
Operafan

Re: Advice on Purchase

Postby Operafan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:03 pm

You might be correct in principle , Greg, about the economical drive to produce fakes by good contemporary carvers.

However, Natasha Popova specifically is a very good carver in her own right, and I am sure that she would never produce ‘old’ looking fakes.

I have recently seen an octopus okimono carved by her, very nice. By the way, she was kind to show us it’s carving process on the forum. Here are some photos of the octopus:

71E04460-2423-4649-9277-879EFBDE2362.jpeg

84CD188B-146A-4EAF-850C-89B8EDFFF4B7.jpeg
Alex

UPenn

Postby UPenn » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:00 pm

Thank you for posting this, that's among the most beautiful things I've ever seen and I hope I didn't imply she herself was making fakes, she's just proof that the skills to do so are alive and well even today, even in real ivory.

I take a couple lessons from this:

1) Modern Netsuke can be just as worthwhile and valuable as antique, as long as they're presented as modern.

2) If modern Netsuke are valuable then there's no reason for any artist to waste their time making fakes.

I would give my left anything to have that octopus. Does she take commissions? Will she carve one for me?

Thanks again!
My name is Greg, life is good, code green.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:20 am

Greg, there are are several great modern carvers. Some, like Clive Hallam will do superb repairs. You may have seen some on the website you linked.a group of our modern carvers were hosted at an open house at the INS Cologne convention last June. Amazing to see their works and talk with them one on one.
Alan

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:01 am

Greg, it's lovely, isn't it! Natasha pops in here from time to time. There must be a link to contact her here somewhere.
Piers

Size is something.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:45 am

Hi Greg,

Nice to see a newcomer to the forum so full of enthusiasm :)

The cow you acquired is what we term as school work. Tomotada was an 18thc carver. The cow you have looks to be late 19th.

On carbon dating. A few of us have looked into this extensively. I would recommend that you just enjoy what you have for now.

On contemporary work. You are quite right. In fact, if you can add London to your schedule this coming May, we have a set of events that will include a contemporary carvers show. Details of this will be announced in the next few weeks.

Enjoy :)
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

UPenn

Postby UPenn » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:27 am

souldeep wrote:Hi Greg,

Nice to see a newcomer to the forum so full of enthusiasm :)

The cow you acquired is what we term as school work. Tomotada was an 18thc carver. The cow you have looks to be late 19th.

On carbon dating. A few of us have looked into this extensively. I would recommend that you just enjoy what you have for now.

On contemporary work. You are quite right. In fact, if you can add London to your schedule this coming May, we have a set of events that will include a contemporary carvers show. Details of this will be announced in the next few weeks.

Enjoy :)

Thank you for accepting me into the fold here it's a very friendly forum.
I was never thinking it was really 18th century, 19th century sounds more likely and probably never really worn.
But probably made to look a bit worn for the collector's market at the time.
I know in the 19th century these were being made in great quantity for the collectors in Europe.
As such an item it's still highly desirable to me, it loses that only if it's 20th century.
If the non-invasive method is commercially available soon I will probably date it, for fun if nothing else.
I probably can't make it to London in May but my brother lives there and my 16 year old niece is huge on art, I'm going to suggest she attend the event, please let me know where I can find more information.
Thanks again for your message :)
Last edited by UPenn on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:07 am

UPenn wrote:If the non-invasive method is commercially available soon I will probably date it, for fun if nothing else.

A couple of non-invasive methods are available. That is not the problem. The problem is margin of error in the result sets. Perhaps the plasma method is the least contaminated available, but this has it's own issues. Because of the nature of carbon dating, it may never be possible to pin down dates to a point that will be useful for an art form only 300 years old. There are investigations into other scientific tools that may provide an alternative to carbon dating. Be assured you'll hear about a useful break through here on the forum first!

I'd share the link to some posts in which the Plasma method has been mentioned in our members area. Alas I see you are in blue *hint hint nod nod* :)

UPenn wrote:I probably can't make it to London in May but my brother lives there and my 16 year old niece is huge on art, I'm going to suggest she attend the event, please let me know where I can find more information.
Thanks again for your message :)

We certainly will. Details will be announced in the next few weeks.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

UPenn

Postby UPenn » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:05 pm

Sounds great souldeep I'll keep an eye out.
I know you're trying to tell me someting with "Alas I see you are in blue *hint hint nod nod*" but Alas I'm too green here to have a clue what you're referring to. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, without a better hint. Thanks :)

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Greg, the reference to you being in blue was your screen name color. If you go to the bottom of the Board index page you will see the following:
Legend: Administrators, Global moderators, INS Members, Registered users, Newly registered users
with each category being a different color.
You will also see how many people are logged onto the forum and how many are members vs. those who are just looking but not logged in.

The hint is to let you know there is a giant archived bunch of topics in the INS Members area and membership in INS allows one to attend the conventions and chapter activities (although most chapters welcome visitors).
Last edited by AFNetsuke on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

UPenn

Postby UPenn » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:02 am

Thanks for this Alan what does INS stand for and how do I become a member?

Return to “Beginning Collecting”