netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Advice on Purchase

Read the forums, still got questions, looking for tips or books to read? Then this is the forum for you to visit.
UPenn

Advice on Purchase

Postby UPenn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi Everybody!

First let me thank you all for having this forum. I'm a life long collector but new to Netsuke and of all the things I've collected this is the most daunting and intimidating hobby of them all due to the extreme difficulty in authentication.

I got here like many others probably did lately, I read The Hare with the Amber Eyes and I was hooked.

I've now made two purchases both from Dmitry Levit.

Anyway cutting to the chase I'm looking at the following item:
http://www.giuseppepiva.com/en/works/iv ... mbent-hare

Because of the book I really want to get a Hare (amber eyes or not).

I like that it shows very clear signs of aging, I feel comfortable that it's legitimate.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Last edited by Oishii on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Modteam deleted price quote given... valuations are not given on the Lounge.
My name is Greg, life is good, code green.

ModTeam

Re: Advice on Purchase

Postby ModTeam » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:44 pm

Hello Gregory,

a warm welcome to the Netsuke and Sagemono Lounge !

Yes, I guess you will not the only member here having become fascinated by this art-form after reading the De Waal book ;-)

Being a life long collector may certainly help in your thoughtful approach to this rather complicated field of collecting :
the fact that your first purchases were from a dealer is certainly commendable.

We appreciate your asking for advice on whether this would be a good purchase.

However, we do not offer valuations on the Forum and prices are not discussed here.
That’s why we have removed the price quote your received for this piece.

Your intuition that this is a genuine, authentic netsuke is right.
It also has some provenance, as it is from the famous Katchen collection.

Another important issue comes up here : the Ivory Regulations on import/export to certain areas. (cites)
As you may know, the US has very strict rules about the import of ivory, even among certain US States.
This may make it complicated to acquire it.

Please do not hesitate to ask any further questions that you may have on this art form.
The ModTeam

UPenn

Postby UPenn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:32 pm

Thank you for your reply and I apologize for breaking the rules and for being a dope and not reading the rules carefully enough.

But it's good to know the item is genuine. It certainly looks old and the povenance is comforting.

I will be going to Italy next month and I have a house there - I'm in fact an italian citizen. So import is not the issue.

I just wouldn't want to overspend, having a limited budget. So could you advise me on how to gain some/any comfort with the asking price?

Thank you again, I am sure I'll be here often and regularly.

Greg

UPenn

Postby UPenn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:40 pm

I just noticed a PM I was sent on this, I would like to thank the sender but it looks like I'm not allowed to send PM's :-(
Anyway thank you.

ModTeam

Postby ModTeam » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:48 pm

Hi Gregory,

thank you for your response and understanding ...

yes, you may have noticed that you were - for the moment - unable to send Private Messages ...
the Forum has installed some protective measures as to the possibility to send these for new members;

This is because The Lounge had some spammers who posted and have then sent some nasty spam to some of our members.
But we are happy to inform you that you will be able to send PM's soon.
The ModTeam

UPenn

Postby UPenn » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:42 pm

Dear Team, I just want to follow up to say I am now the proud new owner of this item and the advice I received made a huge difference in helping me with the purchase. I won't actually have it in my hands for a few weeks but the transaction has been completed so barring any bad luck I will have it in my vitrine in March, living happily next to my frog and cow. That may be my collection for a while until my next successful bake sale. Thanks again! Greg

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:13 am

Congratulations, Greg, on your purchase and coming here to gain some insight. You might add a lemonade stand to your bake sale so you don't have to wait too long for your next purchase.
Alan

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:28 am

Hi Greg, and welcome! I have enjoyed the read here, and good to see humor is alive and well in this collecting arena! I certainly agree that one really nice purchase can put us in a hold pattern for awhile! Good luck with the bake sale, and I certainly would add the lemonade stand! Diversification is always a good idea!
Congrats on a really nice rabbit!
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:43 am

Congratulations on your new family member.
It is very similar to an unsigned one I had for several years. (Until I gave it to my niece last year!) 8-)
Piers

Size is something.

UPenn

Postby UPenn » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:47 pm

Thanks everybody for your encouragement this is such a nice place with nice people :)
Good idea on the lemonade stand, but it might not get me a Netsuke until the dog days of summer.
Maybe hot chocolate instead.

Here's a picture of my first ever Netsuke, I may have called him a frog earlier but he's definitely a toad.
I've named him George.

He's quite happy here in Philadelphia, he's already been to Independence Hall and the Eagles parade.

toad1_pic2.jpg

Return to “Beginning Collecting”