netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

period of netsuke

Read the forums, still got questions, looking for tips or books to read? Then this is the forum for you to visit.
JHawk

period of netsuke

Postby JHawk » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi I am new to this forum but have long had an interest in netsuke and was fortunate enough to spend much time with Guy Shaw when I was growing up and saw many of his netsuke as they were being created. Anyway I have just been given a netsuke and wish to find out about it. Not sure if there is a signature or not but here are photos... any help is greatly appreciated.
Joe
Attachments
20171128_125542[1].jpg
20171128_125552[1].jpg
20171128_125600[1].jpg
20171128_125632[1].jpg
20171128_125735[1].jpg
20171128_130114[1].jpg

chonchon

Re: period of netsuke

Postby chonchon » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:41 am

Hi Joe,
Not sure if this helps but there is a Tenichi Museum which has Netsuke and Inro in it. 天一 (=Tenichi)
http://tenichi-museum.com/top/

Some things I like about the rustic composition of that, but there are various signs for me indicating a lack of any serious age to the piece.
Piers

Size is something.

JHawk

Postby JHawk » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:15 am

Thank you so much for info. will look up the museum. Basically the lady who gave it to me is in her 80's, she was given it by a suitor when she was 19 but knows nothing else about it and has passed it to me. I am smitten! Love to hold it. As I say I am interested in any info... if you have the time I would be interested to know what signs lead you to conclusion about age... purely for my own education so I can learn about these things... i think a collector is being born in me...
Many thanks,
Joe

JHawk

Postby JHawk » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:49 am

Also interested in the material, assuming Ivory...

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi Joe.
I am a little confused by this netsuke too. I do like the carving style of the head, and his torso and clothing seem to be in keeping quality wise, and I feel it has a Japanese charm to it. - but get down to the legs and feet, and something is not right. I am suspicious as to whether they were added after a loss, or if the carver just lost interest in detail there. To me though, the legs and feet don't match the head and body. The ivory has a transparent look all over, even on those legs, which makes me also question the age, and wonder if it was aged by a process.
But Joe, you are the one handling it - you should take a look at the legs and see if they have been positioned and glued in place (a lot of them actually have from the start, but many have had losses too, and been replaced over time.) How do YOU feel about it, and what are you seeing when you handle it. I know you are new to this collecting thing, and it takes a while to develop an eye for problems. It is a very nice gift though and I would really enjoy it if I were you, no matter what. It is a pleasant looking guy with a lot of charm.
Judy

JHawk

Postby JHawk » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:07 pm

thank you Judy for your thoughts. i am sure it is one piece no glued on feet. I have examined it closely with a loop (I am a jewellery historian and gemologist) and agree the feet lack the detail of the rest but they are, I feel, original. maybe the carver lost interest as you suggest. I saw this happen when I was young and saw the netsuke carver Guy Shaw carving. he embarked on an ant inside a hazelnut and went so deep it created a technically awesome situation. i recall him spending hours and hours at it and then putting it to ne side for a couple of months before having another go. took him 2 years to complete... I love the piece myself and I know the lady who gave it to me has a collection of exceptionally fine antique jewellery. but she was 19 when she was given it. whatever the story I love to hold it but would love to know more... hence this forum. will try to take better pictures. thanks for your help! Joe.

JHawk

Postby JHawk » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:10 pm

this is the piece I was describing... found it on Google images...
Attachments
D5142262r.jpg

Return to “Beginning Collecting”