netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

New here

A forum for INS sponsor Artists to showcase and discuss their work.
Tsukimendo

New here

Postby Tsukimendo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:29 am

I'm new to the forum and I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Jessica Van Wellen.
I've been carving for about 8 or 9 years now. Mainly to while away the hours (at work), working as a nightwatchman.
I started by carving any sort of wood I could get, carving with a stanley knife I ended with lots of cuts and a few nasty stabs.
Then I passed over to bone carving. Over time and with some helpful friends I met through facebook I started to gain some better materials. I've only really started to "see" netsuke after I acquired a lot of boxwood, while looking into the qualities of wood. I have much to learn, but Clive Hallam suggested I introduce myself and a few pieces in this forum.
I cannot call these pieces netsuke, because I don't feel that I'm there yet, and most are not shaped in the appropriate way.

The first is a kagamibuta, made with two toned chacate preto and a bone lid.
Second, a little carp that started as a bas relief and ended more into a high relief, my first attempt to inlay amber eyes.
Sanding still needs to be completed.
Third, we had a Buddha & Mind exhibition last year that led me into trying a simplified posture and expression. Remains unfinished for now.
And lastly, a little sleeping shiba inu.
Few weeks ago I was walking my dog and we ran into one that had left his owner in the dust. Him and mine made good friends straight away and we where able to rejoin with the owner. I came into work and carved this little piece. There's still some more shaping and sanding to be done, but it's almost finished.

Thank you for looking, comments are always welcome
Attachments
kagamibuta.jpg
carp.jpg
16298859_10208932562528132_7515345408089673174_n.jpg
21199402_10210658982807560_4396335292056915075_o.jpg

Clive

Re: New here

Postby Clive » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:41 pm

Welcome Jessica, it's great that you've joined our little community. There is a massive amount of knowledge on this site.. so be sure to use the search function and browse the old database and please don't feel any hesitation to make contributions yourself.. no matter where precisely each of us is in our individual netsuke journey, we are all students of the art with a great deal to learn. Since we've already chatted privately about your carvings I'll let others tell you that you're doing really well as I'm sure they will.. but very much looking forward to how the works develop. Again welcome. :x

Regards,
Clive
Last edited by Clive on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dougsanders

Postby dougsanders » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi Jessica! I think I've seen you over on Instagram :)

Tsukimendo

Postby Tsukimendo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:32 pm

:) Hey Doug, that's right I follow you on instagram although I didn't make the connection -Salsa underdogs- straight away :)

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:37 pm

Clive wrote:... no matter where precisely each of us is in our individual netsuke journey, we all all students of the art with a great deal to learn.

Regards,
Clive

Amen to that, Clive!
And welcome Jessica. I hope your browsing through the Netsuke & Sagemono Lounge topics will give you new ideas and inspiration to help your work develop.
Alan

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:14 pm

A very big warm welcome to the forums Jessica :)

Sorry not to have responded sooner. It's a quiet time of year on the forum, school holidays and the lull between big netsuke events. I've personally been on a forum break for a few weeks (as one of the moderators it's good to take an enforced ban occasionally).

We recently had a convention in Cologne that introduced some new carvers to the community. The carvers evening was a success by all accounts, and it was wonderful to see a new generation of collectors interested, and actively buying contemporary netsuke.

The community here is always always grateful to see new carvers inspired by netsuke, and in turn, we deeply appreciate the knowledge carvers share back.

I also like your story regarding the dog. I hope you find other subject matter to inspire you. Do shout to any of us here if you have questions regarding netsuke and it's traditions. I look forward to watching your progress :)
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Return to “Artists Showcase”