netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

new on the forum

A forum for INS sponsor Artists to showcase and discuss their work.
souldeep

Re: new on the forum

Postby souldeep » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:17 am

Serge, would you be willing to share a thread on how you achieved the rusty surface on the skull petrol can in boxwood?
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:52 am

Raoux, magnificent work! :)
Piers

Size is something.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:12 am

raoux wrote:i try to carve netsuke with a european inspiration. Sometimes, my inspiration is similar as japanese carver, sometimes it's stricktly european. For me, netsuke are not a simply object, it's a way to show what you think about the world, the life or the religion, it's a message, a cultural message. My message is coming from french culture, i can't "talk" like a japanese people.

Serge...
Your words define not only the fine spirit of a great artist as I consider you by observing your works, but above all a universal language and message that does not distinguish between countries and cultures but only the sensitivity of each artist ...
Really congratulations.
Luigi
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

MakkaPakka

Postby MakkaPakka » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:01 am

Thanks Serge :)

raoux

Postby raoux » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:44 am

Souldeep: i will make différent views to show how i don.

lmallier

Postby lmallier » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:34 pm

On top of being an extraordinary skilled carver, Serge is a very nice person !!
I was very happy to have dinner with you along with the others on thursday evening in Köln.

Louis
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Qui n'a pas les moyens de ses ambitions a tous les soucis" 
Talleyrand

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:37 pm

Raoux, happy to see you here. I like your carvings very much! My favorite, like Alan, the turbin type shell -it is really hard to believe it is boxwood. I thought it was a real shell at first. Thanks for sharing. Sorry I was not able to attend the Cologne convention. I know I missed a winner.
Judy

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:49 pm

:)
Nice people... nice thread ...
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:49 pm

Not sure if we are getting crossed wires here.

I think the base material of the shell may be plaster, not boxwood (happy to be corrected)?

The dragon inro set is what Rob referred to as boxwood.

Serge can you confirm for us?
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Clive

Postby Clive » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:22 pm

Hello Serge.. it was great to meet you in Cologne and to see and handle your wonderful creations. I look forward to seeing you again soon... in London perhaps?

I think there might be some language confusion in this thread regarding the various techniques employed. With this type of work it isn't particularly helpful to think of them in terms of a single material or method of manufacture.. carved boxwood or ivory.. like we might do when discussing more traditionally made netsuke. I'm sure Serge will be much better at explaining how he made these stunning works of art, but if I might make an analogy that could be helpful.. when we look at the Mona Lisa for instance, we don't imagine it as having been made from Poplar wood... even though if one were to consider the work merely in terms of volume.. it is undoubtedly more Poplar wood than paint. :)

Again wonderful to meet you in Cologne Serge and great that you've decided to join the forum.

Return to “Artists Showcase”