netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

"Seven Samurai"

A forum for INS sponsor Artists to showcase and discuss their work.
Clive

Re: "Seven Samurai"

Postby Clive » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:03 pm

Nice carving Leon.. I greatly enjoyed seeing it and your other wonderful works in Cologne. Keep up the great progress.. you're getting better and better all the time. :x

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:06 pm

I find many works of art, categorised as netsuke, in the 19thC were very fine, but too delicate to be functionally used. I recently posted an example of Itsumin's work, he is one good example of this.

I'm glad to see Leon's example is unlikely to suffer the same fate as the example you guys have just shared. It's never pleasant to see an artists work broken :(
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:45 pm

souldeep wrote:I find many works of art, categorised as netsuke, in the 19thC were very fine, but too delicate to be functionally used. I recently posted an example of Itsumin's work, he is one good example of this.

I'm glad to see Leon's example is unlikely to suffer the same fate as the example you guys have just shared. It's never pleasant to see an artists work broken :(

Yeah.. it is pretty upsetting but since part of my studio is a hospital for busted netsuke I need to have a cheerful bedside manner even when I suspect, like in the case of the beetles.. that the patient is probably beyond help. ;)

and no Martyn.. you can't see me in my nurse's uniform. :D

There is, I think, also an interesting discussion to be had concerning the function of contemporary netsuke and how their structural strength is best designed for any "new" role they might now have acquired. While their functionality as wearable toggles has naturally become less important, they still have a unique role as a tactile high value collectable. As such one should expect them to withstand considerable "manhandling" and wear over time... perhaps even more than the older pieces were subjected too. (?) One aspect of that is the wearability of the current fashion in "painting" netsuke. There is a reason why the vast majority of antique netsuke are mostly brown and it's not because most those old carvers were colour blind. ;) :D

Natasha

Postby Natasha » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:44 am

The beetles look as if someone has stepped foot. It's sad. Nevertheless, Martyn, everything can be destroyed!
Attachments
bolshoj-egipetskij-sfinks-v-gize-04.jpg

Clive

Postby Clive » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:56 am

How the great Spinx lost its nose is still a matter of debate but most historians now it seem rely on the account of the Egyptian Arab historian Al-Maqrīzī who wrote in the 15th century that the nose was actually destroyed by a Sufi Muslim named Muhammad Sa'im al-Dahr. "In 1378 CE, Egyptian peasants made offerings to the Great Sphinx in the hope of controlling the flood cycle, which would result in a successful harvest. Outraged by this blatant show of devotion, Sa'im al-Dahr destroyed the nose and was later executed for vandalism."

I trust Natasha is not saying that the Akihide beetle netsuke was similarly destroyed by deliberate act of wanton vandalism because the unfortunate collector who owned the piece when it shattered would naturally be very upset by such a suggestion. It apparently shattered in their hands while gently polishing it with a soft brush. Later examination of the remaining leg fragments revealed lots of tiny hairline cracks running through the material.. a common phenomenon in most hard carved materials like ivory and boxwood as it ages but usually not significant because other material usual helps retain a carvings structural integrity. :geek:

dougsanders

Postby dougsanders » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:08 pm

Clive wrote:One aspect of that is the wearability of the current fashion in "painting" netsuke. There is a reason why the vast majority of antique netsuke are mostly brown and it's not because most those old carvers were colour blind. ;) :D

My thoughts exactly! I don't want to hijack Leon's post though, so if we carry this further, let's start a new thread.

Thank you Leon, for showing your work!
Last edited by dougsanders on Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ModTeam

Postby ModTeam » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:13 am

The last post made by Natasha has been quarantined to remove ad hominem comment(s).

This is the first warning and will remain against your account for 90 days. Please refer to the rules topic found at the top of each forum, or by visiting the following link viewtopic.php?f=260646&t=7940197
The ModTeam

Clive

Postby Clive » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:09 pm

When I read the above MOD post I naturally assumed my "biggest fan" had once again been giving me some of her "love" but it seems poor Leon was this time the target of her attention. I don't know whether to be relieved or slightly jealous. :? :D

Leon

Postby Leon » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:14 pm

Seems I'm late to this party. What's up?

Clive

Postby Clive » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:40 pm

Nothing to worry yourself about Mate.. just Natasha doing her thing again and taken care off by the mods almost immediately.

Hey.. why don't you show that other piece.. the graffiti one. I thought that was great fun. :D
Last edited by AFNetsuke on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Artists Showcase”