netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Polliwog's Return

A forum for INS sponsor Artists to showcase and discuss their work.
JimKelso

Polliwog's Return

Postby JimKelso » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:40 pm

A small box in unknown Russian wood with Ebony lid, horn eyes and 22k gold Hemlock needles.
The title refers to the fact that some tadpoles over-winter before metamorphosing into frogs, something I discovered reading Thoreau while making this piece.

His/her tail is partially submerged, an effect not showing so well except when held in the hand.

IMGP9480PSE_edited-1web.jpg

IMGP9486PSEweb2.jpg

IMGP9488PSEweb.jpg
"In all intellectual debates, both sides tend to be correct in what they affirm, and wrong in what they deny." John Stuart Mill

www.jimkelso.com

jbjtennyo

Re: Polliwog's Return

Postby jbjtennyo » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:11 pm

Lovely contemporary piece, and the top where the tadpole swims does have a smooth fluid affect to it. Congrats! Nice carving!
Judy

Clive

Postby Clive » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:19 pm

Marvelous Jim. Love the tadpoles.

JimKelso

Postby JimKelso » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:29 pm

Thanks very much Judy and Clive.

Much appreciated...
"In all intellectual debates, both sides tend to be correct in what they affirm, and wrong in what they deny." John Stuart Mill

www.jimkelso.com

lmallier

Postby lmallier » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:08 pm

I think the effect of the tail partially submerged is perfectly rendered and very visible on your pictures.
A wonderful piece.
Congrats.

Louis
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Qui n'a pas les moyens de ses ambitions a tous les soucis" 
Talleyrand

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:22 am

Beautiful work, Jim. Where did you get an "unknown" Russian wood and I'm afraid I don't understand the Hemlock needles. What's the reference? And I learned something about tadpoles. Thanks for sharing this.
Alan

JimKelso

Postby JimKelso » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:05 pm

Thanks very much Alan. Years ago in a small Russian gift shop in Lebanon, NH I bought a flower vase made of this material. It was simply a section of the branch/trunk? that had a hole drilled down the center. I recognized immediately its value to me as raw material and decided the sacrifice of the vase was worth whatever karmic trade-off might be involved. They said it was Russian Aspen, but I have my doubts and have not been able to confirm this one way or the other. I sawed it into sections and have used 2 of 4.

Eastern Hemlock (tsuga canadensis) is a wide-spread evergreen native to Eastern N. America. Like many "evergreens" it has seasonal needle loss as well as from stress. The needle loss can vary from relatively light to quite profuse(see photos where they can be seen where water meets rock). This tree often grows near water and the needles are frequently seen in streams and ponds. I love how they add interest to a composition.

needlesweb.jpg

needles2web.jpg

www.jimkelso.com

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:14 pm

Thanks, Jim. ...and there was a Hemlock in our front yard when I was a kid. Hated cleaning up those needles under the tree. Guess we needed a water feature to better appreciate them.
Alan

JimKelso

Postby JimKelso » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:21 pm

This shot shows the tail effect a little better I think.

IMGP9512PSEweb.jpg

www.jimkelso.com

JimKelso

Postby JimKelso » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:37 pm

And two better photos than earlier:

IMGP9510PSEfinalweb.jpg

IMGP9525PSEweb.jpg

www.jimkelso.com

Return to “Artists Showcase”