netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Work In Progress : Bamboo container

A forum for INS sponsor Artists to showcase and discuss their work.
Clive

Re: Work In Progress : Bamboo container

Postby Clive » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:19 pm

Yes Judy.. it's all about process. The glue that keeps an "Aspie" like me together. :lol:

That and the small work size which although exponentially more challenging than larger work helps me focus.. it's so much more intimate as well I think. I like to show things in the hand.. I wish more folks posting their netsuke on this forum provide at least one of it in the hand. It gives us a much better sense of the true scale of the work and encourages us to appreciate that the true quality of netsuke and related arts can only really be appreciated tactilely. Don't you think Judy? Especially Lacquer.. the true quality of which can never truly be appreciated just from images. Hopefully all the stages I'm doing will hopefully create a deep, blacker than black translucent background onto which my gold and silver Makie will hopefully float. Fingers crossed hey. xx
Last edited by Clive on Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

onimh

Postby onimh » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:27 pm

Another wonderful piece,.....and process.
Thank you, as always, for sharing.
A most humble little box; (more like 99%).

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:48 am

Hi Clive,
Yes, I love to see these carvings in hand. It is the best way to judge size, but also, they seem very precious when tucked in folded fingers- like a treasure.. I was telling my son and daughter in law, this evening about your lovely bamboo box netsuke., and all the processes to make it, and how small it is. Jon was fascinated when I explained the size of it, and that led to a discussion of boxes from other parts of the world, which he has a small collection of small boxes that he loves. He has one that looks like a square box with a lid. He handed it to me and said try to open it. Try as I might I could not. Well, it seems the top turns like a jar lid, and when you turn the top all four sides pop out from under the lid, displaying four small empty boxes, that again close to the inside with a twist of the top. Very unusual... Anyway, a fun discussion, and all because I told him of your bamboo box. Thanks for sharing it Clive...
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:39 am

Your bamboo container is really a Manju Netsuke, with the option of keeping something small inside, right? The lid does not screw but eventually in an ideal world, will fit tight when twisted, I am guessing, and will stay shut with tension on the string and inner loop. You must have trouble maintaining the integrity of the shape of the bamboo material even as you cure the urushi lacquer. (?)
Already it looks good enough to eat, but with a Makie surface could well be unbearably gorgeous. I bet that inspiration will come like a thief in the night.
Piers

Size is something.

Clive

Postby Clive » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:53 am

To be honest Piers, I hadn't thought of it as a manju but more like a simple bowl and lid or even a modified Kagamibuta. Something along the lines of these..
2011-11-06 17.04.29.jpg
2011-11-06 17.04.43.jpg

2011-11-07 14.29.44.jpg
2011-11-07 14.29.53.jpg

Although the lid in the second piece would be relatively fixed by the tight cord though the plug.. the lid would be loose as on the Mitsuhiro. I like your idea of trying it into more of a manju though. I haven't quite figured out exactly how I want the two parts to fit.. perhaps a small locking spring could be the answer. (?) Just thinking about it now.. maybe I could design something that utilised the spring in bamboo itself... :!:
Hmmm.. lots to think about and great fun doing so. Especially when one gets creative input from others. Cheers mate.

Regarding "maintaining the integrity of the shape of the bamboo material" - the node of bamboo the I used for the bowl is incredibly strong and rigid.. it does after all provide the bamboo plant with much of its structural strength. I couldn't crush it in my hand even it I wanted too.

Clive

Postby Clive » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:51 pm

Piers.. I've had your comments regarding the tight fit of the bowl and lid on my mind the last few weeks and have decided on a solution.

IMG_0032.JPG

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:56 pm

Is this technique employed in any Edo/Meiji netsuke? It sometimes seems a slight twist of the top of lidded manju is needed to loosen them. Or maybe there is just an irregularity and I've encountered a tight spot that was unintentional?
Alan

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:31 pm

My impression from handling many lidded/stoppered Japanese artefacts in various fields is that a very slight ellipse was chosen deliberately, to be twisted into lock position, and that perfect circles although entirely possible for other purposes, were avoided in such circumstances. (Screwing lids were not part of their background.) Even close Japanese friends have laughed at the suggestion, but in this little matter I would wish to stick to my guns.
Piers

Size is something.

Clive

Postby Clive » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:08 pm

I think I'm in complete agreement with you Piers.

Return to “Artists Showcase”