netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

The Magic Tea Kettle (Bunbuku Chagama)

A forum for INS sponsor Artists to showcase and discuss their work.
souldeep

Re: The Magic Tea Kettle (Bunbuku Chagama)

Postby souldeep » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:39 pm

I love this Clive!

A perfect use of a crown - the top half of the badger tea kettle appears to be from the skull of the deer, the feet of the piece from the antler.

Bravo - the simplicity it portrays should not be mistaken for simplistic carving. You uncovered this from the stag antler material with great vision. Who knows what material faults or quirks you'd find as you carved away the antler and the bone.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

tanukisan

Postby tanukisan » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:33 pm

I love your Bunbuku Chagama Clive - it is a favourite tale for me too. Here is a fruitwood carving I made 3 years ago of the tanuki beginning to run off from the heat of the fire as it transforms back from a chagama right in front of a very startled monk -
Attachments
DSCF3445.JPG
DSCF3444.JPG
DSCF3449.JPG

John 

Clive

Postby Clive » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:06 pm

Cheers Martyn.

Wonderful John.. love the capture of another part of the story and your craftsmanship is excellent. Thanks for sharing it.

Anybody else got any more Bunbuku Chagama to share.. would love to see them?

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:18 am

Clive's London workshop on stag antler really helped us in this area : it gave a very clear insight into which parts of the stag/antler are used in certain carvings.

John, I wasn't aware that you were a carver-artist yourself !
Thank you for sharing your excellent netsuke, which captures the surprise of the monk very well.

This stag antler Bunbuku Chagama piece, attributed to Kokusai, was sold at Sotheby's in 1986. (Lorber sale, ex Trower collection)
teakettle.jpg
Jan

JimKelso

Postby JimKelso » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:53 pm

Lovely rendition Clive...
"In all intellectual debates, both sides tend to be correct in what they affirm, and wrong in what they deny." John Stuart Mill

www.jimkelso.com

Clive

Postby Clive » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:18 pm

Cheers Jim, kind of you to say.

ABland

Postby ABland » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:21 pm

masterful work Clive. What material have you used for the eyes and how large is your piece?

Clive

Postby Clive » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:55 pm

Hi Adam, Sorry I assumed the cord would have provided a sense of the size of the piece, its small.. only about 35-37mm across at the widest and about 28-30 mm high. I don't have it anymore so can't measure. The eyes are inlayed light green/grey horn and amber.. with a black horn pupil inlayed from behind. The amber providing clarity to the black pupil and the more cloudy light horn the iris. I don't know if you can pick it up in the close up but I also created a hint of a much darker outer ring... to help add depth.

eye.jpg

adorabletanuki.jpg

Tama

Postby Tama » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:17 pm

Awwwwwe, I want a tanuki for a pet! Your netsuke really captured the sweet face of a tanuki! The inlay eyes are amazing.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:51 am

That is one hell of a lot of work to create those eyes, Clive! Most of us would have no clue what makes those eyes appear as they do.
Alan

Return to “Artists Showcase”