netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Natasha Popova

A forum for INS sponsor Artists to showcase and discuss their work.
LUBlub

Re: Natasha Popova

Postby LUBlub » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:45 pm

I need to agree with Maric about the top five... Each one have his own preferences and I share this preference on base of evidences of your artistic career.
By the way I consider you a normal woman with exceptional artistic attributes, and to be "normal" in this present society is something out of the norm...
The owner of this octopus is very fortunate to be owner of such incredible piece ...
Martyn for your info is NOT MINE
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

JimKelso

Postby JimKelso » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:40 pm

Magnificent octopus Natasha...
"In all intellectual debates, both sides tend to be correct in what they affirm, and wrong in what they deny." John Stuart Mill

www.jimkelso.com

Natasha

Postby Natasha » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:21 pm

Good day, good evening and good mood! I have one more story for You all.
Everyone knows the legend of the passionate Kiyohim and the handsome monk Anchin. For a long time many artists portrayed Kiyohime in a different way, as flirtatious girl, as lost her mind from love sufferers, then in the form of a vengeful demon serpent. The theaters of Kabuki and Noh embodied the image of Kiyohime on the stage. I was very impressed by the image created by the talented Kabuki Theater actor Tamasaburo Bando in Musume Dojoji!
Attachments
Kiyohime Emerging from the Hidaka River by Yoshitoshi.jpg
Kiyohime Utagawa Kuniyoshi, signed as Ichiyuusai Kuniyoshi 一勇斎 国芳こと歌川 国芳 c. 1845.jpg

Natasha

Postby Natasha » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:23 pm

The Deigan mask of the theater Noh gave me an idea how to reflect the image of Kiyohime in miniature plastic.

This engeful Spirit mask are used to portray angry spirits, both living and dead, whose anger demands expression. The very famous Hannya mask, a representative Noh mask, expresses both the fury and the sorrow of a jealous woman; characterized by its two horns, its gaping mouth, and its angry eyes, it is especially used for woman who have transformed into a demon, as in The Lady Aoi and The Demon of Dojoji. The Deigan mask is used for a woman who has submerged her jealousy, but who is beginning to change into an evil creature, as in the first half of The Lady Aoi.
Its name derives from the golden pigment (kindei) with which the whites of the eyes (gan) have been painted. The Yase-otoko mask is used for the ghosts of dead men who have fallen into sufferings of hell, as in Birds of Sorrow; in this mask, gold-colored metal has been applied to the eyes of this haggard man, who has lost all vitality. One characteristic of the masks in this category is that they all have
strands of disheveled hair drawn on their sides.
Despite outward signs of anguish and suffering, the Deigan mask also hints at the protagonist’s former beauty.
Attachments
Deigan.jpg

Natasha

Postby Natasha » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:24 pm

I wanted to unite the theaters of Kabuki and Noh in one image, engravings, and at the same time to create something of mine. My sketch is based on the mask Deigan, the image is no longer a woman, but not a demon. When all-devoured love has disappeared, there has not yet emerged a destructive furious revenge. The moment of calm before the storm or the moment of changing the image, such a moment is called Hikinuki Kabuki when the actor for a moment becomes immovable.
Hikinuki is a dramatic technique for instantly changing a costume on stage. The actor wears 2 costumes previously sewed together with thick shitsuke ito (basting thread), and the Koken (onstage assistant) pulls out the shitsuke ito just before the moment of the quick change of costume on stage, taking away the top layer of costume while synchronizing the timing with the actor's movements.
http://www2.ntj.jac.go.jp/unesco/kabuki ... 04_01.html
Attachments
Kabuki Musume Dôjôji here the actor Tamasaburo Bando.jpg

Natasha

Postby Natasha » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:28 pm

Thus, the idea of creating Kiyohime was finally formed, her face appeared on paper, her hair is disheveled from pursuit, Rose Urushi lacquer was used for hair which was faded and burned with passion, like the sun. In the masks of the theater Noh used a gold color for the depiction of demons, I chose golden mother-of-pearl which literally shines like the eyes of demons in the dark.
There is a special make-up in Japane, I was delighted by the image of Kiyohime created by the talented Kabuki Theater actor Tamasaburo Bando.
Attachments
Kiyohime96.jpg
Kiyohime096.jpg
Tamasaburo Bando in Musume Dojoji.jpg
Last edited by Natasha on Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Natasha

Postby Natasha » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:44 pm

Kiyohime has been carved from mammoth tusk, its length is 6.8 cm. Her eyes are double inlayed with golden mother-of-pearl and black buffalo horn. Her hair and make-up were colored with different Urushi lacquers.
Attachments
Kiyohime004.jpg
Kiyohime001.jpg
Kiyohime002.jpg
Kiyohime006.jpg
Kiyohime007.jpg
Kiyohime008.jpg
Kiyohime009.jpg
Kiyohime015.jpg
Kiyohime013.jpg

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:02 am

Wow, what a subtle and complex world! Natasha's got talent!
Piers

Size is something.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:59 pm

Rich and magnificent cultural explanations of the story...
The mask is "no words"...speake by herself
And the techical skills impressive...
Tks so much Natasha for your generous cultural and artistic contribution!
Happy to have Artist and Members like you (as many others....) in the INS.
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

Natasha

Postby Natasha » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Thank you for the compliments. It was a very interesting project. Japanese culture, traditions and theater are very different from European ones. I watched the performances of Kabuki and Noh. Very original! Everything is on the verge of allusions.. You can rethink several times and find something new every time ... As garden of stones...
The East is a delicate matter! The masks by Mitsuyuki and GYOKUSUI were the greatest inspiration for my Kiyohime.

Return to “Artists Showcase”