netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Natasha Popova

A forum for INS sponsor Artists to showcase and discuss their work.
Natasha

Re: Natasha Popova

Postby Natasha » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:14 am

Alan, I do not agree with you, the best eyes were developed by Janel Jacobson http://www.janeljacobson.com/ and Cornel Schneider http://www.cornelschneider.ch/ , look at their sites.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:31 am

When I said "some of the best eyes" that does not exclude anyone's carvings. Please note my use of the word "some". It would be nice to see Janelle posting again here. I've seen her works at past INS conventions.
Alan

Natasha

Postby Natasha » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:22 am

I'm sorry, the translation difficulty. I would also like to see the works of Janel, I believe that her frogs are the best in the world, and her frogs' eyes are the height of perfection, I'm a fan of her works too!

Clive

Postby Clive » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:36 am

I think one must really have actually seen and held netsuke to truly really appreciate them and in particular things like tiny inlaid eyes.

The most obvious disadvantage one has when simply looking at images is one rarely gets to appreciate the true size of netsuke.. and obviously the larger the netsuke.. the "easier" it is to photograph their huge eyes. Some of the greatest inlaid eyes I've ever seen simply could never be captured adequately in an image.. I'm thinking in particular of the work of a true genius like Ikku. His tiny eyes on a small ivory crab which couldn't have been more than 33mm wide overall exhibited at the last Chicago INS Convention were simply mesmerizing and probably the best I've ever seen. Their complex construction not only truly original but a stunning technical accomplishment. Although they weren't much bigger than 1.5mm in diameter, they sparkled like diamonds.

Maybe one day you might attend an INS convention Natasha.. the next one will be pretty close to you in Cologne. They are always a lot of fun.. and you'll get to see and handle some great netsuke. :D

Natasha

Postby Natasha » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:45 am

It's time to inlay the siphon using a small piece of walrus tusk.
Attachments
siphon04.jpg
The finished siphon
siphon03.jpg
pencil markings
siphon02.jpg
Inlaid roughly treated siphon
siphon01.jpg
Recess for siphon and a piece of walrus tusk

Clive

Postby Clive » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:14 am

Looking really marvellous Natasha.. I particularly like the way you've used the the secondary dentine on the octopus's head. Reminds me of the work of another great carver.. my old Michael Spindel stable carving buddy Gregg Stradiotto. He attended a few INS conventions back in the day and his use brilliant use of this wonderfully rich material were always something to behold. His inlaid eyes were pretty special as well.

I imagine you know him but here's link to his website for anybody who isn't familiar with his great work..
http://www.greggstradiotto.com/

Natasha

Postby Natasha » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:25 am

I know Gregg Stradiotto personaly we have contacts through e-mail very often, I know his early and late works from netsuke to sculpture, his works in fossil walrus tusk, he is really very talented artist.

Natasha

Postby Natasha » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:26 am

Back to my story...
All rough work is finished, now I can carve small details as suckerssssssss - endless work! To add some more wrinkles on head, to mark them on tentacles, to thin mantle.... this stage of work is my favorite!
Attachments
mantle02.jpg
beautiful translucency of walrus tusk
mantle01.jpg
I love walrus tusk
suckers04.jpg
suckers03.jpg
suckers 02.jpg
suckers 01.jpg

Natasha

Postby Natasha » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:02 pm

There are several ways to do inlaid eyes and what kind of them to make depends from different reasons, as the overall palette, composition, idea. I didn't want to decorate too much, creamy tusk and white mother-of-pearl are sea materials.

Natasha

Postby Natasha » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:23 pm

I'm going to continue this story, this story is about octopus, I've carved it from walrus tusk, its maximum size is about 7.4 cm.
In this part I want to show how endless suckers were done, this work on suckers has got a lot of time and patience, but it was not the most difficult work, the most difficult is in front, to polish every detail! Really crazy work!
Attachments
suckers endless.jpg
I began to carve suckers inside, it seems to me endless
polishing02.jpg
Again washed
polishing01.jpg
Here I began to polish....
more wrinkles.jpg
More wrinkles...
octopusss.jpg
Washed
suckers, shells and tools.jpg