netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Natasha Popova

A forum for INS sponsor Artists to showcase and discuss their work.
LUBlub

Re: Natasha Popova

Postby LUBlub » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:20 pm

By the way I knew that for one carver the
Great difficult ii to sculpt a human
body and face, it's true?
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi Natasha,

Thank you for sharing the story that influenced the work, and some of the creative process.

The hair in the mouth adds an erotic element to the work.

This is darker than any previous works I've seen of yours. Is this a new path, or a one off commission?
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Natasha

Postby Natasha » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:33 pm

Hi Martin!
On Japanese prints the curl of hair in the mouth has a slightly different meaning, this means a woman who has gone mad. The hairs on the sides of the face outside the hairdress mean a weakened woman whose life force leaves her.
I admire the masks created by the great masters of the past. But I do not want to copy them, I want to create something new, based on the traditions and art of Japan. Kiyohime, first of all, was a woman and only then she became a demon. In Netsuke, I met the image of a snake with a mask of Hannya which wrapped around the bell. Engravings are more colorful and dynamic, strange that the carvers portrayed Kiyohime in only one image of Hannya. Kiyohime, translated from Japanese, means the Pure Princess. I think she was very beautiful, high opinion of herself, spoiled and knew how to achieve her going to the end, a strong woman.Therefore, I wanted to portray it colorfully, but in the transfers of the Japanese make-up, restrained, so that the image does not break up into details.
I have long dreamed of doing masks, but somehow there was not time. Sketches painted between orders, in addition to Kiyohime there are a couple of sketches of Netsuke masks, but so far there is no time for them.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:49 pm

IPhone south Europe
8-) pleasure to read your cultural background, treasure for our forum, I believe many Members agree...Tks Natasha for your generosty...
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:47 pm

LUBlub wrote:IPhone s... I believe many Members agree..

:?: :?: :?: :roll:

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:07 pm

Natasha wrote:Hi Martin!
On Japanese prints the curl of hair in the mouth has a slightly different meaning, this means a woman who has gone mad. The hairs on the sides of the face outside the hairdress mean a weakened woman whose life force leaves her.

I was not aware of the hair symbolism, I've not come across this before, one of my favourite reasons to study netsuke - so much to learn about Japanese culture through legends and other means. The story of Kiyohime is powerful subject to play with and express. Thank you for sharing :)
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Return to “Artists Showcase”