netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Ittobori technique study

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:16 pm

I've been messing about with yew and some specially designed very sharp chisels to try and understand some of the complexities of this Ittobori technique.. it's a lot harder than it looks and painful.

Look the emergence of a Cicada.. christened with a little fresh blood. Hopefully I'll finish him before I need a transfusion.

Attachments
2574741_Cicada1.jpg
2574742_Cicada2.jpg
2574743_Cicada3.jpg

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:07 pm

FACINATING, Clive!

Before our INS 2013 London Convention, you treated us to a step by step on that amazing Boars Head piece you created.

Can we watch this Cicada come to life, carved in this deceptively simple-looking technique, now?
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

neilholton

Postby neilholton » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:12 pm

I second David on this one Clive.

I would enjoy and find it very informative to watch how this one develops.

When you say painful, do you mean the pressure needed to apply to achieve the cut?

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:19 pm

And I third it!  Can't wait to watch this cicada escape from his wooden cage!
Judy

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:20 pm

Neil I think he is referring to the already blood stained carving, because of the type of tools he is using!
Judy

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:04 pm

Sure David, I'll take pics and post as I proceed but please don't expect much. This is research and development so pressure to succeed is seriously counter productive. I'm not confident in this technique yet and the slightest miscalculation and I'll have blown it. In fact I expect it.. but maybe that will be of interest as well... it will give you an insight into the failures that must be experienced in order to learn new skills.

One of my sayings is that "The difference between the expert and the novice is the number of mistakes made.. the expert having already made the many thousands required to truly master anything."

First thing of interest that you'll notice in the pics already posted is the two tone character of Yew or as the Japanese call it Ichii.. The pale coloured wood is called the sapwood and is a thin layer directly under the bark of the tree. It is very soft. Then the inner deep orange coloured wood is known as the heartwood which is slightly harder. As we have seen throughout this thread, many of the Hida school carvers used this contrast in the wood as part of their designs. I'm trying to exploit the same, I've tried to cut the basic cicada shape so that the wings and thorax and parts of the head are carved in the sapwood and the eyes and underneath in the heartwood. It's really very tricky but I think I managed it. If this one gets messed up, I'll do it again and know a little better next time how to pull that off.

Yes Neil, the chisels I'm using for this are razor sharp and to make clean cuts evenly in this relatively soft wood some pressure needs to be applied.. the slightest wrong touch of the blade and it gets bloody. I'm patching myself up with a tube of superglue as I learn how to do this.. :D

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:33 pm

Seems like we are on an exciting journey (behind the scenes) of the making of this ittobori piece, Clive !
thanks for letting us in ...
the colour differences between sap- and heartwood can really lift these pieces to a higher level ...
the ittobori style has starting to grow on me through the dedicated threads ...

Is this new piece already commissioned, Clive ?
who's first ?

Jan

kaibutsu

Postby kaibutsu » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:31 pm

By blood we live, the hot, the cold,
To ravage and redeem the world:
There is no bloodless myth will hold.

Geoffrey Hill
INS mascot

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:01 pm

Pat, I knew we could count on you for some prophetic words of wisdom! Thank you for sharing this.
Clive, I also am impressed by your use of the two tones of the wood. Can't wait for the next step. I hope you don't have to figure out how you can incorporate red stain into the carving!! :shock: Image
Judy

GiantSquid

Postby GiantSquid » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:58 pm

I'm looking forwards to seeing this one develop too.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones." John Maynard Keynes, 1883 - 1946

INS member since November 2012

Return to “Carving Techniques”