netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Tools for carving netsuke/okimono from boxwood and other hard, carvable materials

Vlad

Re: Tools for carving netsuke/okimono from boxwood and other hard, carvable materials

Postby Vlad » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:47 pm

And here are my favorites :) !
H0109-L79411440.jpg
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

Tama

Re: Tools for carving netsuke/okimono from boxwood and other hard, carvable materials

Postby Tama » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:09 am

Klaus, I may be wrong, but your tools look like manicure implements. I have some of the very same things from working in a salon about 100 years ago!

KPR

Postby KPR » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:05 am

Oops!
I think, it was a good idea not to start a career as a netsuke carver.
The same I would also like to recommend Vlad with his tools. :)
Klaus

Clive

Postby Clive » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:49 pm

My "iron brushes"

12743533_944758125592528_6104238287297795392_n.jpg

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:59 am

Janel said early in this topic that many of her tools were fashioned from hi speed drill bits. Clive, what do you use in making your own tools? Are many created for a specific task and then just become part of the kit? So many to choose from.
Alan

Clive

Postby Clive » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:42 am

Alan, these days I mainly make my knives from high carbon steel salvaged from old quality swiss needle files. Like these..
file_011.jpg

but I still determine the quality of the steel by the complexity of the spark it makes when ground. Very basically.. the more complex and beautiful the spark the better its suited for a specific tool or material. :)

file_002.png

file.png

Occasionally when needing a tool for material like horn which although fairly soft very quickly dulls an edge, I will use a tungsten steel and high speed drill bits are sometimes an easy source. Its much more difficult to temper such steel correctly though.

As you see.. some of my tools have colour codes on them.. Those codes indicate different steels or angle of the cutting edge and the colours help me quickly pick them out.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:09 am

A new world for me. Just wow!
Piers

Size is something.

LoungeAdmin
Site Admin

Postby LoungeAdmin » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:17 am

I'm absolutely astounded... A graph of spark types... Mind boggling. This world never ceases to amaze me with the new things we learn.

Clive, I seem to remember you once mentioning you were making a tool from rats tooth. Are you able to share this too?
This is a test signature

Clive

Postby Clive » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:30 pm

Ahh.. the rat and fish tooth tools aren't carving tools Martyn but tools I use on lacquer and in finishing particularly burnishing. The teeth are useful because they are extremely hard and very smooth.. but that's a whole other technology. I'll take some pics when I get a chance.

Unfortunately many of the old tool making ways are being lost.. these days everything seems to be about quick and easy convenience.. fast and noisy high speed electric power tools for carvers to quickly shape material.. the downside IMHO however is a great loss of scale, sensitivity, richness and ultimately "soul". :(

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:53 pm

Sparking patterns...who would have thought.
Clive, do you have any advice on whetstones that might be applicable to our pocket and kitchen knives or are these just not in the same category? (Just trying to tie some of your very technical and interesting info to something we non-carvers can use).
Alan

Return to “Carving Techniques”