netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Carving Tools offer

Clive

Carving Tools offer

Postby Clive » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:25 pm

Hiya Peeps.. a few years ago I "inherited" the entire workshop contents of the great and famous netsuke carver Michael Birch. http://michaelhbirch.com/index.html
Boxes and boxes of stuff, materials and tools... most of which I haven't even got round to opening yet. This morning though I made a start and one box contained the following.. a fully working Quayle Deroter Pendant motor, with foot peddle, two flexishafts, a load of handpieces and some share parts like brushes etc etc. Michael would have wanted his tools to be used by the next generation of carvers and as I already have a NSK set-up and a spare foredom.. I'm willing to pass all this on for little more than a donation to my favorite charity and the cost of postage/packaging.. I'm in Sheffield, UK and will ship to anywhere in the EU. Happy to answer any questions.
IMG_2123.JPG

IMG_2124.JPG

souldeep

Re: Carving Tools offer

Postby souldeep » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:37 pm

Wow - what a great opportunity to continue the Birch tradition in carving.

One thing has me puzzled - I would have expected to see a collection of hand carving tools. Instead it looks like the pictures show an old power tool?
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi Martyn.. Michael carved almost exclusively with power tools.. and since the beauty of natural materials played such a significant part of approach to netsuke.. they served him well. FWIW.. these tools are now on there way to Jessica, the lady from Belgium who recently joined our little forum community. I'm sure she'll make excellent use of them and that Michael would be delighted that his tools are now being used by a new generation of carvers. :)

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:21 am

Great news - I look forward to watching Jessica's development :)
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Return to “Carving Techniques”