netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Copy?

Not sure what you have? Here you can post your piece and discover its period, context and authenticity.
GRHR

Re: Copy?

Postby GRHR » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:45 am

Many thanks Alan for the good advice - the moral of the story is always preview and buyer beware! An expensive lesson learned but an important one. Thanks again,
Giles

KPR

Postby KPR » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:47 pm

Giles, do not be sad.
It's a nice piece and it's worth restoring the ear better (maybe a revision is enough).
I do not want to know how many restored ears are not recognized.
Klaus

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Agree with Klaus ; pleasing example of this model.
If you decide to restore the ear, hope it works out well !
Jan

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:56 pm

souldeep wrote:However, I know a few of the members here did get to handle. I could be mistaken, but I think there where a few questions regarding this piece.

Giles - regarding my comment above. I was mistaken. It was in relation to some other pieces.

I too agree with Klaus. A little bit of damage somewhere is really not a big thing, these are antiques. You also got it for a good price at auction. Not an easy feat from a house like Christies!

Personally - I'd leave the ear alone and enjoy and study the piece as is :)
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:33 pm

I too think it is a nice netsuke, and you know at least the ear has been replaced by a wood that did not blend or match too well-- which is probably why you got it for such an excellent price. The wood has a nice glow, and the pitting and areas that looked filled in the original images don't show so much on these last images. Did you lubricate it? In any event, I certainly would enjoy the acquisition if I were you, and perhaps talk to a restorer about replacing the ill colored ear.
Judy

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:37 pm

jbjtennyo wrote:In any event, I certainly would enjoy the acquisition if I were you, and perhaps talk to a restorer about replacing the ill colored ear.

I'm outnumbered on going for a restoration. Perhaps at this seasonal point, it's simply a case of wishing you a merry Xmas and a happy new ear :roll:
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:39 pm

Oh Lord !!!! You are such a case Martyn :D :D :D anyway agree with the team. Is such a nice carving at a reasonable price, no complain but enjoyment
Nec spe nec metu

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:49 pm

carlomagno wrote:Oh Lord !!!! You are such a case Martyn :D :D

Yeah you are right. Not much hope for me is there. Whilst some look for a new year restorer, I should perhaps find a therapist :D

GRHR

Postby GRHR » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:11 pm

Many thanks for the comments - all very reassuring which is much appreciated as this is by far the most I’ve spent on a netsuke. Judy, I just used a lightly damp cloth to clean it and nothing else. I love this little piece and learning about the Kuzunoha story and I'll look into restoration in the new ear... I mean year... ahhhh it's catching... :P

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:45 pm

Clive could be clearer, but you really shouldn't use water on a wood netsuke--You should use the tiniest drop of Mineral oil on a small natural hair watercolor brush - brush the oil all over it -- but a tiny bit goes a long long way! Then let it sit and dry, wipe it with a soft 100% cotton t-shirt and see if it needs another light oil--but truly -- a Tiny Tiny bit of mineral oil goes a long long way. Don't use water.
Judy

Return to “Authenticity”