netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

I believe my winning streak comes to an end.

Not sure what you have? Here you can post your piece and discover its period, context and authenticity.
Curt

I believe my winning streak comes to an end.

Postby Curt » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:49 pm

To Judy and others I believe my 'good eye' might have stayed at home on this day. Here is a little netsuke purchased November of 1999. Catalogue entry: "Old carved and stained, marine ivory (whales tooth) netsuke of a crab on a seashell (minor flaw). I purchased for not much money, but I like crab, so it came home with me. I just liked the proportions and style.
Attachments
N39F.jpg
N39R.jpg
N39B.jpg

Clive

Re: I believe my winning streak comes to an end.

Postby Clive » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:27 pm

I'm afraid so.. :lol:

giphy.gif

Curt

Postby Curt » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:18 pm

Now that's funny right there...Thanks Clive - I like your unique and subtle form of criticism. Perhaps you guys should create a group of bad netsuke emojis.

Clive

Postby Clive » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:04 pm

;)

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:27 pm

Clive does have a way with words -even though not one was uttered!! :D
The Good news here is that you seemed to know how the vote would go on this particular carving--which means your eye is better now than it was when you purchased this shell netsuke. Looking forward to more.
I do think it a great idea that you tell us your observations first--and that will help you develop your own eye in the process.
Judy

Curt

Postby Curt » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:07 am

Thanks Judy - always the optimist! At least you didn't attach a crash and burn gif. Really, it's fun for me as I really haven't looked at these closely for so long. I am able to compare the quality from what you all have shown me and I can see the difference. I think I have a few more winners in the bunch, but I have to be honest and show you every purchase in order. I am sure there are some that will fool me, as I have 50 chances to be right or wrong. I'll pull another purchase record tomorrow and see what's up next to post.
Thank you again, Judy for your kind response on this one.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:32 am

Curt, i have to say you have a good attitude about this. With so many pieces could I suggest you select the ones you think are NLOs for a group photo and if people agree the Mods can leave them in this topic rather than processing each post into the NLO forum, thus preserving the continuity of your topic. I think it will be a good learing read for visitors here.
Alan

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:29 pm

This is both fun and instructive, Curt. You're an awfully good sport to do it. Looking forward to the next posting,

Alison

Curt

Postby Curt » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:42 pm

To Alan and Alison - thank you for your responses. as to my attitude, I have a 70 year old 2nd generation art gallery and grew up in the art business. I have made so many purchase mistakes across so many types of art disciplines that I can't hide them all. :shock:

Alan, I would post a group photo of the suspicious ones but really not sure which is what and what is which. I hope my postings are not too much trouble. Do you think it would be better to post the ones I think are bad to the tourist group?

I'll post another today and I'll be glad to do what is best for the forum. I appreciate the knowledge and helpfulness - and more importantly to me the kindness in responding to my poor purchasing decisions.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:26 pm

Curt, if you are pretty sure some are NLOs, putting them in that area and maybe even pointing out what features reveal that classification would be a good exercise for many. Lounge members who feel something there is authentic can point it out and the Mods will move it to an appropriate topic. And god knows it won't be the first time any of us has made a mistake ;)
Last edited by AFNetsuke on Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

Return to “Authenticity”