netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

A little Shishi for the Weekend

Not sure what you have? Here you can post your piece and discover its period, context and authenticity.
Curt

A little Shishi for the Weekend

Postby Curt » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:49 pm

OK, boys and girls -

Here is another one purchased at the same auction as the two previous netsuke I posted. This one was listed as "wood netsuke of a ferocious shishi lying on a plinth, fine patina, signed Toshinaga: late 19th century. What do you think? Fact or forgery?
Attachments
N33F.jpg
N33R.jpg
N33B.jpg

jbjtennyo

Re: A little Shishi for the Weekend

Postby jbjtennyo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:39 pm

This little shishi makes my heart pump a little faster! ( or maybe its too much coffee!! -just kidding!) I like him, very much, and the himotoshi is nicely proportioned, and totally in keeping with netsuke that were carved for use.
Looking in Laz and Neil Davey, the carving style seems to be well mated with those on the page. I am looking especially at the shishi that I have enlarged for you. If you look at the details in the face you can see the same curl to the nostril, and the stubby, almost cut off nose, -the setting of the eyes and curly cues around them are handled in the same manner as well.
From what I have come to understand about signatures, just like our own writing, there are differences in how the strokes are handed, but it looks like nicely formed kanji to me--Piers is a much better judge of that than I though.. I normally don't purchase a lot of netsuke on a base, but I do like it in this instance. Also that Toshinaga has carved others on a base is another note of comparison.
You will notice that the page from Neil Davey's book gives you another pronunciation of the name - Juyei. Note that the eyes on the Oni have a similar feel to those on your shishi. Just my opinion though, that it is a nice authentic carving with the signature Toshinaga.
I would say your knowledge of art and composition in general have served you well in your purchases so far!
Attachments
IMG_4656.jpg
IMG_4657.jpg
IMG_4658.jpg
Last edited by jbjtennyo on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judy

Curt

Postby Curt » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:43 pm

Wow - thank you Judy! The information you provided is very interesting. Hopefully others will give an opinion. I always liked this little creature, but thought that the finish might be and indication of something more modern. The similarities are very notable, I suppose scholarship is indeed important. I appreciate your compliments, but as I've stated I had no clue of what I was doing. As I learn more from my reading and your observations - I have a feeling my lucky streak will quickly end - like in the next posting. Thank you again Judy, for taking the time to respond.

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:10 pm

Your little shishi is a charm. I or the majority here would feel happy to have it in our own collections.Ok here is the bet. Your collection is as far as good as the first three pieces you have revealed.
Last edited by carlomagno on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nec spe nec metu

Curt

Postby Curt » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:35 pm

Thank you for your response Carlomagno. I'm glad to hear your assessment. As far as the bet - I am doing these in reverse order to when I purchased them. The next one up I think will make you lose your wager :) But it will be fun to see which ones don't make the grade. Because it was so many years ago the taste of disappointment won't be so bad. Thank you again for your opinion.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:12 pm

Grazing through one of my books, I found this little shishi with pup that looks like it might be from the same lineage. It isn't signed, so would probably only be a help to the owner of this one, if an expert could/would authenticate the signature on yours. Always interesting and fun when you find a similar piece that you think might link to yours!
Attachments
IMG_4676.jpg
IMG_4677.jpg
IMG_4680.jpg
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:10 pm

A pity there is no shot under the base, Judy.
Piers

Size is something.

Curt

Postby Curt » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:47 pm

Thanks again Judy. They do look similar. I have a couple more Shishi that also look similar. I think one is signed, and one is not. We'll get to them in order. I have to post some more stinkers first.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:17 pm

Yes, Piers, I wish I did have a shot but not in the book -"Netsuke" selected from private Hungarian collections II. And the images are grainy and impossible to see the detail in the shadowy areas. I just thought the faces seemed to be carved in the same manner and material of course seems the same reddish tone of wood. A closer examination would be required for an authentication, but this gives whoever owns that unsigned shishi a direction to look in.
No other info is in the book - it really is just a picture book with no research included.
Looking forward to seeing more from your collection, Curt.
Judy

Return to “Authenticity”