netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Stag antler piece of unknown age : modern Ebay fake ?

Not sure what you have? Here you can post your piece and discover its period, context and authenticity.
Tsunuki

Postby Tsunuki » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:18 pm

- MOD EDIT - This thread was copied and moved from the topic "Favourite Finds of 2016". It allows that thread to keep focus on the Favourites Finds and to discuss the Modern carvings from Ebay here separately - END MOD EDIT

I'm a little late to the party. Probably my favorite of 2016 is this glum-looking antler Karasu-Tengu, sitting in pine branches. Measures 1.8" tall. I have no idea on the age or maker. I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out to be a contemporary piece.
IMG_4859.JPG
IMG_4862.JPG
Ryan Snooks

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:29 pm

If you bought it on eBay and from Switzerland, the odds are in favor of contemporary, I would say. Still a charming carving, you just have to figure out what that tengu is doing in that pine tree with that scroll...
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:50 am

As Vlad said, the combination of elements should raise some questions. Did the maker just combine some common Japanese elements into a cute "Frankenstein" production?
Alan

KPR

Postby KPR » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:12 am

Vlad wrote:If you bought it on eBay and from Switzerland, the odds are in favor of contemporary, .......

I could not resist and bought a staghorn Netsuke from this contemporary production. It is not my "favorit 2016", but I like it and do not regret the purchase.

A Japanese motif (Hotei tries to roll a Tama)
Probably a own creation from the carver (I have not yet seen anything comparable)
A round and closed piece with good Himotoshi, good to use as Netsuke.
My favorite material and a pretty decent execution.
1332-003.jpg
Klaus

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:05 pm

Wow. The composition is unusual, but in other respects that would be easy to mistake for an old one. It does make one think (and smile). Thanks for posting, Klaus.

Alison

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:42 pm

KPR wrote:
Vlad wrote:If you bought it on eBay and from Switzerland, the odds are in favor of contemporary, .......

I could not resist and bought a staghorn Netsuke from this contemporary production. It is not my "favorit 2016", but I like it and do not regret the purchase.

A Japanese motif (Hotei tries to roll a Tama)
Probably a own creation from the carver (I have not yet seen anything comparable)
A round and closed piece with good Himotoshi, good to use as Netsuke.
My favorite material and a pretty decent execution.

I agree. The carver, whoever he is, definitely has artistic talent and good eye and technique for composition. His usually artistic remakes of the old Japanese subjects do attract attention. Yours reminded me of the combination of the classic subject of a man/boy rolling a large ball and a tee grinder falling asleep at work, but with a very nice new twist to it, Klaus. Very nice indeed!
boy&ball.jpg
Sleeping greender.png
921385_Sleeping_tea_grinding_priest_b.JPG

It's just a shame that the seller doesn't want to reveal the carver's name, insisting all these pieces are sent to him from Japan as antique, making it a fraud right there and then. I also thought it was worth having one in my collection as an example for the money they are sold...
Tengu antler 0.jpg
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:49 pm

For the money they are sold?
Piers

Size is something.

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:56 pm

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:07 pm

Wow! First time I've seen these. Many thanks for the links.
Piers

Size is something.

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:48 pm

I wouldn't necessarily call them fakes, though. The carver, who may actually be in Japan, may theoretically not even know/care how they are sold (not that I personally believe in it). He doesn't sign his work with a fake mei, nor he makes them look like something they are not. He just uses old subjects, artistically adopting them to create something new. That is why I hoped to find out who he really was, but the seller was not cooperative. I wonder how long will this last.
We, as some of you may still remember, have successfully defeated one of our own from Pennsylvania a few years back... 8-)

Return to “Authenticity”