netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

one of the first purchased

Not sure what you have? Here you can post your piece and discover its period, context and authenticity.
Tama

Re: one of the first purchased

Postby Tama » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:53 am

Ahhhh, Tokiwa. I was stuck on Okame nursing. That's using the old noodle Alison! Wouldn't that be something if a netsuke turned up depicting the other two sons? Hmmmm.

Tama

Postby Tama » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:05 pm

I wonder if JC's netsuke could in fact be Tokiwa and her youngest son Yoshitsune, who was the favorite hero of ancient Japan? It could stand to reason why she could have been depicted with only one child. Perhaps someone could add to this or give an alternative to whom it is represented in JC's netsuke?

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Yes, Allison and Jill, a lot of elements in JC's piece point in the direction of Tokiwa.

Joly writes in his Legends : "Tokiwa and her children are a subject often depicted; the mother is bare-footed and walks in the snow, with one boy at her breast and the other two clinging to her torn garments. She wears the large hat of a peasant, and her lacerated feet leave in the snow a track of blood spots."

The bare-feet, the boy at her breast and the large hat of a peasant that seems to be covered with snow definitely fit the description.

In the Baur Collection book we read : "Tokiwa Gozen, reputed to have been the most beautiful woman of her time, is one of the tragic figures of the war between the rivalling clans of the Taira and Minamoto. She was the concubine of Minamoto no Yoshitomo and when he was killed and his palace burnt down by Taira no Kiyomori, the luckless woman had to flee with her three sons, the youngest of whom was still a nursling. The countryside was deeply cover with snow and this pityful flight is a favourite subject of Japanese artists. (...) "

Gabor described a "strong group in light boxwood of Tokiwa Gozen sheltering her children" in Kenkyukai vol. 10/1 :
height 6,4 cm.
Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 17.09.43.png
Jan

DreamCollector

Postby DreamCollector » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:39 am

Hello
I have also one that is in the same style as the examples from this topic.
It is a man with a giant fish on the back.
Last edited by DreamCollector on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:51 am

Hi Dreamcollector,

yes, it is indeed in the same style and we suspect it may also be from the circle of Nagamichi Shuzan.

It has a bit less wear than the first Shojo piece that was shared. it is signed "Shuzan" in the same typical manner.
The detail in the work is good, eg in the double sleeves, the fish and the face. There is a sideways himotoshi.

The subject of this piece is Ebisu, one of the Lucky Gods. Many times these are shown with big earlobes, and yours certainly has giant ones. Other attributes of Ebisu that we encounter and that are present in your netsuke : a cap or bonnet on his head and a giant fish. (Tai)
Often he is portrayed with some wit or humor : cutting up his fish ; or hugging it ; or trying to cram the animal into a basket several sizes too small ... (Joly)

Ebisu is the God of honest dealing, he is also the patron of fishermen and the God of food; often coupled with Daikoku as the two Gods whose shrines are themost common in households.

Many of the models of Nagamichi Shuzan seem to have a certain facial expression in common as well ?
Untitled.jpg
Jan

DreamCollector

Postby DreamCollector » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:06 pm

Thanks Oishi,
this gives more meaning to my netsuke now, more than just a man with a big fish.
I will try to read about this and google.

chonchon

Well rubbed?

Postby chonchon » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:31 am

Smallish Netsuke, yellow boxwood, perhaps Shuzan II Nagamachi, remains of 彩色 Saishiki colour here and there, including green in the folds of the clothing, and a reddish ochre inside the Himotoshi holes. Clothing and leaves well carved. Holding a brush/whisk (?) in the raised right hand, and a bunch of flowers (lotus, chrysanthemum?) in the left.

FAC6E2E6-6401-4751-97C4-70816D4AD4DE.jpeg

D07AC62C-A25C-4756-A532-9ED1678A6AC2.jpeg
Last edited by chonchon on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:36 am

Cont.

5CFE2B2E-274E-4119-B104-0F54FAC38A23.jpeg

691A5BDD-E6D2-4961-B6D6-DA3ABF64F1DB.jpeg

F1864333-EB84-4290-ACAF-C43A3ADC89AC.jpeg
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:52 am

Found in a freezing and windy antiques and bric-a-brac market in the fields at 8:30 am on a Sunday morning. Not quite sure how I might go about cleaning it up and making it a little more presentable...
Piers

Size is something.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:25 pm

An elegant sennin in that style Piers - Nice hunting.

I especially like the facial and hair features on this one. Pleasing patina.

Agree on your attribution. Can't quite make it out from photos, but might that be a reishi sceptre in his left hand?

Sorry but I have no tips on cleaning it up. I don't touch mine. Terrified to do so :o
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Return to “Authenticity”