netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

My granddad Buddha netsuke

Not sure what you have? Here you can post your piece and discover its period, context and authenticity.
Ran

My granddad Buddha netsuke

Postby Ran » Thu May 10, 2018 6:59 am

Hello forum,

My granddad (born 1914) has been carrying a small object in his pocket for as long as everybody remembers. That object was widely regarded as "worthless plastic trinket", until someone recently told me that it was in fact a netsuke. People thought it was plastic because it appears to be two halves glued together, but I am not sure was material it is : it does not feel like plastic to the touch. I don't have much more context element, besides the fact that my granddad was French and as far as I know never went to Japan. Those 2 halves really puzzle me, so if someone knows anything about this object, any bit of information would be very welcome !

(the object is quite worn probably because it was carried in a pocket with keys, knife etc. for decades)

Petit Bouddha face.jpg

Petit Bouddha dessous.jpg

Ran

Re: My granddad Buddha netsuke

Postby Ran » Tue May 15, 2018 12:00 pm

So for anyone interested, the answer is : probably celluloid (or, less likely, ivoirine) okimono from late 19th or early 20th century, details here in French :
http://www.lejapon.org/forum/threads/19 ... st%C3%A8re

Return to “Authenticity”