netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

my first purchase, what do I have?

Not sure what you have? Here you can post your piece and discover its period, context and authenticity.
Sake!

my first purchase, what do I have?

Postby Sake! » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:14 pm

Hi folks, I am very excited to join this group and begin learning all about this incredible art form.
I jumped in with both feet and bought my first netsuke because it spoke to me. Having been to Japan several times I recognized him as samurai in armour but that is all I know.
It is signed on the bottom, he has a sakura on each hand and around the base it looks to be waves and the ocean.
Any observations will be greatly appreciated.
DSCF3900 copy.jpg

back.jpg

front.jpg

jbjtennyo

Re: my first purchase, what do I have?

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:04 am

Welcome Sake!
I am glad that you have found the forum, and that a netsuke has spoken to you. Having been to Japan, I am sure you were thrilled to find a netsuke that related well with your trip there.
Your netsuke is carved from ivory, and seems to be a 20C carving. Although it is somewhat better than some that we have seen, it is not a quality that has a lot of value as a collectible. The facial features are what we have come to expect from that time frame, and the ivory is stained, and does not have the patina that age would offer it.
These netsuke speak to us on many levels, and you have responded to the story behind the carving, having been in Japan and recognized the trappings of the Samarai.
Collecting netsuke is contagious and very rewarding. It does however, take time and study in order to know what to look for and how to recognize a quality carving. There are many threads here on the forum. Reading through them and studying the images will help you recognize the differences and develop a good eye for authentic.
You might consider joining the International Netsuke Society. There are many benefits of membership, including four journals a year and also a member only section of the forum which has a wealth of information. Read as much as you can, and seek out dealers who have authentic netsuke. This will also help you as you move forward into collecting.
In the mean time, welcome here, and I hope that you will find it helpful as others respond as well.
Happy hunting!
Judy

Sake!

Postby Sake! » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:27 am

Many thanks Judy, your detailed reply is very much appreciated and your advice is spot on, read, read, read and study the images :)
Having discovered this forum gives me just a little confidence that my next purchase will result in something a little more praiseworthy :D

Best regards,

Fred

PS I am in Japan for the next few days but I don't believe I am in an area/city that will either further my knowledge or present temptations to purchase....

tanukisan

Postby tanukisan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:17 am

Ah, if only your first purchase was closer to this suit of armour mounted on a storage box by HIDEMASA shown below, which is in the British Museum!
Attachments
2017-10-13.png

John 

Sake!

Postby Sake! » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:13 am

Omg, I was so close (but so far :(

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:28 pm

Hmmm... I can see why you liked it, and in fact I would love to have a really good example of this theme, better if possible even than the Franks Hidemasa in the British Museum. I did see one not too long ago in London, but it was way beyond my budget. :lol:
Piers

Size is something.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:24 pm

piers, I can understand why you like it as well. it could almost be a sculpture of you all dressed for your reenactment! You should put an image here of you so we can compare! Is it even close to what you wear during the reenactments?
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:48 am

Haha, yes Judy! Actually the Netsuke above are portraying a mixture of different ages and styles of traditional Japanese armo(u)r, which the artists have not really understood.

Look at the very old style of "O-yoroi" (lit. Great armor):
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/image/search ... 26st%3D244

And then the simpler and later middle ages style of Tosei-gusoku (lit. Modern armour), more the style that I wear:
http://www.takatsuprops.com/catalog/images/g1-03.jpg

Compare 1350 (right) with 1590 (left) https://search.yahoo.co.jp/image/search ... 6st%3D1299
Piers

Size is something.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:51 pm

Great comparisons Piers! Thanks! Yours has always looked very detailed to me anyway! (although I did not remember that your Kabuto had a Maedate.! :P

ps. for those of you who don't know the Japanese words OR haven't discovered the joy of Google like me --that means his helmet doesn't have a crest! :)
Last edited by jbjtennyo on Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judy

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:53 pm

Judy, for me it's the maedate that makes the helmet...but that's just my attraction as someone who has not studied armor.
Alan

Return to “Authenticity”